XLR cable for unbalanced connection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
XLR has 3 conductors. and the 3 wires/connectors are usually +/- signal and ground.

I was thinking of something like:

+ = right channel
- = left
ground = ground

instead of 2 male-terminated RCA cables going from preamp to poweramp, I only have one.

good idea? or bad idea?

Once wired for 2 channels the balanced feature is lost, so there is not +/- cancelling.

There will not be a big crosstalk issue if good cable is used and the length is not too long.

Remember Naim use almost the same scheme. It has the advantage of preventing ground differences between channels.

My only change to your proposal would be to use the + as left and the - as right. It just follows convention better that way.

Hi,
what if one used two twisted pairs feeding the stereo XLR?
One pair for left and one pair for right.
The ground connection meeting in the plug and taken into the audio ground attached to the socket.

How would crosstalk measure with this arrangement?

Would this increase or decrease the propensity for hum?

Hi,
the closeness of the two pairs would reject some of the external hum field. The common audio ground connection may also help reduce loops in some wiring arrangements.
If the PCB audio/signal ground is taken to the XLR socket and from the socket to main audio ground then this is likely to be as quiet as as any other grounding arrangement and better than most.

The send end of the cable would require a 4pole or 5pole XLR and complete separation of the two channel audio grounds in the source.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.