Ipod controller links, kits???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking to build a remote control for an iPod device and was wondering if anyone knew of kits, plans etc.

I have an application where i need to put a iPod in a secure location and put basic controls plus a display in another location. Picture something like a in store Kiosk where the ipod is locked up inside. but users can control the sound from a front mounted panel.

I have seen various factory remotes that plug in allow you to control the ipod, but none that have a display as well.

I have seen such things for other MP3 player products. but for this application i am stuck using ipod brand.

This needs to be a wired controller. something that i could build, or dissasemble a stock unit and mount to a panel. i have a 1.6" x 10" working area so most stock units wont work unless the display is or can be seperated and the controls mounted next to the display.

Any suggestions?

Zc

Hi,

the Keyspan TuneView is another, more comfortable choice, yet expensive - due to wireless technique.

A smaller one was tested by The Unofficial Apple Weblog.

Advanced Technetics used to make one, too. But it's not intended to navigate the iPod, only the current playlist!

An in-car solution might be readily usable for you (except for the enclosure), the Harman Drive+Play.

And then there are more universal devices like this one, which would probably be completely oversized (and overprized) for your purpose.

This market isn't too crowded with wired remotes with display, as the demand is low. Manufacturers expect people to require display remotes being used remotely ;)

Cheers,
Sebastian.

Thanks guys. the Logic remote is just too small. I need to remove the guts and mount them to the back of a panel and that is just too small for someone at a kiosk to see and use.

The HK drive and play, i thought would only work with a car stereo. I wonder if it would work stand alone? the display is about the right size...maybe.... but the controller would be hard to integrate i think. But we are closer!

I was hoping someone out there has come up with there own design maybe... I have found that the ipods are serially controlled. so a PIC microcontroller could operate it easily. but i am not sure about the display.

Hmm now i am thinking about that drive and play. but that is expensive.

Zc

Hey,

the serial communication is 'encrypted' in a proprietary way. Putting the iPod into 'accessory mode' isn't difficult, but sending data that it accepts indeed is!

The more recent iPods use firewire (!!!) in order to link to accessories (which is the reason why firewire no longer works together with the host computer), at least all the original Apple accessories do it that way.

H/K and others simply agreed to a license (and an NDA) and got sample code and schematics from Apple. This might be the explanation of the price points that all 'smart' accessories achieve at. :xeye: The official accessories also have a means to be compatible to all iPods of their respective (and all future) generations. I don't know wether you would have to account for this, too.

The drive+play transmits via FM radio frequency or links via line cable. The older model goes for 70 bucks on ebay where I live, btw. :)

Cheers,
Sebastian.

Hi Tolu,

Apple usually does release such information. You just have to pay a license fee and sign an NDA.

Without doing so, it is a very complicated matter, as developers who leak information risk their license and might face legal issues.

BTW, Apple has just released new iPod models. The connector's capablities and acccessory compatibility have changed - yet again...

Cheers,
Sebastian.

This wouldn't be too difficult if you're capable of the microcontroller programming. Grab yourself a $2 ATtiny with a UART, an LCD display and some wire, then read http://ipodlinux.org/Apple_Accessory_Protocol

You might not be able to do everything you want, but it definitely shouldn't be too hard to at least get the control part done. The display control and getting the necessary information is going to be the tough part.

Very true, but still plenty of work. Then there's always the tons of old iPod remotes that can be salvaged (and the controllers put to use).

But don't forget: Those sites are very incomplete and partially outdated. Apple changed a lot with the 5G/5.5G, we're receiving the 6G now which is incompatible to some old Apple stuff and many third-party accessories. And I didn't mention the iPhone and "iPod Touch"...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
sek said:
H/K and others simply agreed to a license (and an NDA) and got sample code and schematics from Apple.
sek said:
Apple usually does release such information. You just have to pay a license fee and sign an NDA.

As i understand it Apple makes more money on licencing than on actual iPod sales (not hard to believe given the margins (a retialer will make $6-10 on an iPod Nano))

If your venture is large enuff you buy a licence, otherwise you will likely need to hack someone else's licenced product.

dave

Hey Dave,

As i understand it Apple makes more money on licencing than on actual iPod sales

Do you have a source in the news or media that you can quote? It sounds rather unlikely.

(a retialer will make $6-10 on an iPod Nano)

A retailer will make even less when doing competetive offers, but you've been referring to how much money Apple is making. The reason for the retailer's margin being so low is the very fact that Apple's margin is unusually large considering the otherwise lowish prices in this business.

But it's true that retailers usually make more money on accessories than on the iPods those accessories are sold together with.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
sek said:
Do you have a source in the news or media that you can quote? It sounds rather unlikely.

It is lost in time... i work at an Apple dealer part time, and i regularily go thru the news items on MacSurfer.com.

Margins on the computers are not much more than on the iPods, but lead to the lucrative part which is after sales service (not nearly as much as the Window's PC guys need mind you)

dave

I was just asking because I work at an Apple dealer part time, too. :cool:
I cannot imagine they gain significant profit from accessory licensing.

OTOH, it's a common misconception that Apple is making more money from iPods than from Macs, but that's not true. They sell more units, considering all iPods models. But they make more profit from Macsintosh computers, altogether.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

PS: And it's not difficult to get the part about not needing as much after sales service, at least not for a Mac sales and tech guy... :cool:

planet10 said:

It is lost in time... i work at an Apple dealer part time, and i regularily go thru the news items on MacSurfer.com.

Margins on the computers are not much more than on the iPods, but lead to the lucrative part which is after sales service (not nearly as much as the Window's PC guys need mind you)

dave

id say they make about 25$ per ipod, the laptops are about 190$ if that, depends if you buy ram from apple, then they gouge you MAJORLY, its best to buy a laptop from apple with stock ram and buy your ram else where.

Pc, laptops don't make any more if any thing where i work now we actually don't make any money on laptop's not like we used to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.