Binaural recording of 4th of July fireworks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Binaural Recording

Cloth Ears
Re your last paragraph, throw into the mix a few DVD-A, and numerous downloaded 48KHZ LPCM PROMO Music Videos.Some of the PROMO Videos sound even better again when converted to 24 bits using SoundForge 9 and then remixed back with the Video component.
SandyK

Sigh, my current won't play DVD-A - "It's a Sony" :(

I used to (in my foolish younger days) record some live stuff using hi-fi VHS (which sounded great). But sadly those days are long gone. And, in spite of still having a turntable and some dearly loved LPs, I still haven't found a good 'analog' playback format (that's acceptable by the boss - 1" tape is not acceptable).

Cloth Ears,

Thank you! I was unaware of the Freesound Project.
I'm signed up.

SandyK,

I have no in depth experience with comparisons of the "lossless"
compression techniques.
These sorts of comparisons can be very subjective and influenced by bias and suggestion. This is the stuff that generates heated debates. I'm not qualified to weigh in on this subject.

However, some folks may wish to investigate this free subtractive comparison evaluation tool from Liberty Instruments.

http://www.libinst.com/Audio DiffMaker.htm

Just a thought.

Zapnspark

Binaural recording ...

zapnspark
Thanks for the link, I will check it out later in the day.
In a few hours time my Class A gear wil be auditioned by a couple of friends into better speakers than mine, and in a much better room (acoustically) I will be taking along both versions of our own compilation test disc.
SandyK

Re: Binaural recording ...

sandyK said:
zapnspark
Thanks for the link, I will check it out later in the day.
In a few hours time my Class A gear wil be auditioned by a couple of friends into better speakers than mine, and in a much better room (acoustically) I will be taking along both versions of our own compilation test disc.
SandyK

I hope it went well. BTW, what speakers are you auditioning with?

For creating backups of CDs, I almost always use EAC. The result is often the same - and for some of my lovely partners' CDs, there is a definite improvement. Without EAC, some of the CDs she has used for running excercise classes are almost unreadable/unlistenable - afterwards (with reasonable use of "glitch removal") they are almost good as new.

Binaural recording .....

Cloth Ears
The FLAC difference wasn't so obvious when using VAF DCX speakers,as it is at home using old QED DCM speakers or headphones ,but it was there. The VAF DCX are a fairly bright speaker, and we found them critical as far as positioning and "toe in" , possibly because of twin tweeters, at slightly different angles to each other. We think that rear wall reflections may have degraded the soundstage too. Things sounded markedly better, but not as good as at home, when the Oppo DVD player was set to output LPCM, and then fed into a highly modded MF X-DAC V3, then direct into Class A amplifier , without the preamp in line.The Oppo DV981HD can digitally remote control the volume via SPDIF.

SandyK

Binaural recording ...

zapnspark and cloth ears
I installed the Liberty program, and the results were quite interesting. I used tracks from the Papa Doo Run Run album.

"I just did another comparison between the Good Vibrations tracks.I then played back the "difference " file. As before, playback not sounding as good, and occasionaly a little unusual sounding. The "difference" file was not readily visible in SF9. BUT, when opened in SF9, the bargraphs of levels were playing back the difference file at levels peaking mostly at -75dB ! and occasionally peaking at -72dB.
Perhaps that explains whty the differencee between some .wav files derived from .flac files, and .wav files ,is more noticeable on higher resolution equipment ? "

SandyK

zapnspark said:
Here is my second attempt at a binaural fireworks recording.
No ALC or processing used this time.
Headphones are recommended for the best effect.
Be careful with the volume level.

http://tinyurl.com/6ntmyh

ZAP

I tried my headspaced pair of mics on the 4th but they were too sensitive and hard clipped even on the little "wistle and pop" things. I'll give your's a listen.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
LOL! The sirens killed me. Kept having to turn down the recording to convince myself they were not outside my window. Ha!

Nice work. Thanks.

Years ago a buddy of mine had that fist portable DAC from Sony. The included stereo mic was pretty good. But one night we went out in the woods in rural France to record owls. We used a pair of little in-ear bud mics German made, IIRC.
Really terrific sounding recording. We took the tape to the studios at Radio France France and they were very impressed.

Those old ear bud mics were expensive, and had a somewhat "sour" top end (their only faults). Looks like you've done better for cheaper!

Minidisc is not suitable for high quality recordings, it employs realtime perceptual encoding (ATRAC) to suppress signal components, like MP3 but a much worse implementation. According to some sources, the original signal becomes barely recognisable after a few enconding and decoding cycles.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.