pre amp question, need your input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a noob at electronics and I am trying to come up with a design to add some decent sounding tunes to my motorcycle. I have no space for a typical setup so I am going to construct a box to hold two 5.25 inch speakers and I was going to use an amp6 kit from 41hz. com

My question is would adding a small 9v preamp boost the signal coming from mp3 player before it hits the amp? If so will this allow me to turn it up louder without it distorting as much? Or am I on totaly the wrong path?

Space is an issue here so Im tryuing to keep it all small

Thanks for any help you can give.
cid

It doesn't work that way. A power amp has its limit and that's that. What you need is a power amp that has enough gain for you to be able to run it straight from your mp3 player and be able to turn it up enough that it will distort. These are easy to find.

Hi,
find out the output voltage level of your MP3 player.
Build a power amp with sufficient gain, either internally or with an add on pre-amp to allow the power amps to reach maximum output when required.

As a matter of interest, having seen reference to this topic on another thread, when do you listen? on the move or stationary?

Im building a small box to hold two 5.25 inch speakers and Im going to drive them with an amp6. Its going to mount to my windshield. I wear a half helmet so no helmet speakers will work, and I have tried the buds and dont like the feel.

How do I test the output level of my mp3 player??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.