Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2007, 08:17 PM   #1
percy is offline percy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Scrap copper worth anything ?

I have some copper chassis and pieces of it lying around that came from an old vacuum tube amp. What is scrap metal/copper worth these days ? Wondering if I should just toss it or sell it to a scrap metal dealer ?
Old 23rd June 2007, 08:28 PM   #2
bulgin is offline bulgin  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Scrap copper worth anything?

Hi Percy

Oh yes. I don't know what you'll get in your country though but here in Cape Town, copper theft and illegal exporting thereof have caused a huge hooha in recent weeks. Conferences and the first arrests of scrap dealers in the news this week.

bulgin
Old 23rd June 2007, 08:34 PM   #3
agent.5 is offline agent.5  United States
diyAudio Member

you should just sell it on Ebay. Copper is worth quite a bit these days.
Old 24th June 2007, 01:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here in Phoenix thieves cut copper water pipes and pull down cables from homes and office buildings to sell to scrap metal dealers. The city has recently changed some of the laws governing purchases of scrap requiring all sorts of paperwork for any deal worth more than $50 or $100. Scrap metal dealers are not allowed to purchase uninsulated copper wire from anyone (because thieves strip/burn off the insulation to hide the pedigree of the cable they are selling).

I_F
Old 24th June 2007, 03:53 AM   #5
percy is offline percy  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow!
sounds like more of headache than anything else.
Dont know what the scene is over here in Minneapolis but I better not loose those Ebay and Paypal receipts of that tube amp I purchased!
Old 24th June 2007, 04:08 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have been collecting & recycling copper & aluminum...

Last time i took some in, insulated wire was 25 cents a pound & enameled wire (mostly salvaged from dead CRTs) was 3 x that.

It costs a lot less to get these metals from recycle than to make them from ore. Even if you just donate it...

dave
Old 24th June 2007, 12:32 PM   #7
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

You usually get quite a bit more (around 3x like Dave mentioned) for uninsulated copper wire. In PA you're allowed to remove the insulation yourself without being called a thief or filling out papers...

http://www.metalworld.com/a/0131.html
Old 24th June 2007, 04:54 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BWRX
In PA you're allowed to remove the insulation yourself without being called a thief or filling out papers...
It would sure be nice to find a way that didn't pollute like burning it off does (why i don't bother)... maybe a trip thru some liquid nitrogen and then thru a set of rollers?

dave
Old 24th June 2007, 05:13 PM   #9
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

There are machines that automatically strip wire. One such made by the Eubanks company that my father used to service.
...like this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Eubanks-Wire-Str...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 24th June 2007, 08:11 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'd have to process a ton of wire to just pay for that... not really in my league... with LOX costing less than bottled water, just need to find an onld ringer washer (or a couple more dead tecktroinx wax printers) and rig up a crusher... work better for the scrap pieces in terms of not having to sort the wire.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!