Anyone interested in Homebuilt helicopters? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2003, 11:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ap0the0sis
Default Anyone interested in Homebuilt helicopters?

Have you guys seen these things yet? Home made helicopters using VW engines and things. They actually fly like real helicopters. up, down, hover, forward, reverse, spin... all the functions. Some can be built for around $8,000 total... some go to $30,000 + They are considered ultralights so you dont need a license or permits

Check it (them) out .
search for Homebuilt helicopters

http://www.vortechonline.com/aw95/

ap0the0sis
Old 27th January 2003, 11:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default pic:

pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aw95flying-2.jpg (14.9 KB, 242 views)
Old 27th January 2003, 11:09 PM   #3
hifi is offline hifi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Isn“t it less elaborate ways of breaking ones back availible? ;-)

/Micke
Old 28th January 2003, 09:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Do you need to be nuts to fly one of those, or does it only helps?
Old 28th January 2003, 09:59 PM   #5
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
Hey cool, I think that would be a heck of a cool project!
Old 28th January 2003, 10:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

i think so too. this would be a great projecto to work on. From what i'cve read it takes anywhere from 200 - 800 hours to complete one of these machines. Most of the parts are off the shelf.

I dont think you have to be nuts to fly one of these. You just have to like helicopters and understand them. I've had many R/C helicopters so I have some kind of flight experience? I dont think it would be to difficult to learn to fly these.

I just need to come up with the nessesary funding!!
Old 28th January 2003, 11:46 PM   #7
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

This is really really cool
Old 29th January 2003, 12:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

There was a series on the UK version of Discovery Home and Lesure last year on this guy that built his own helicopter from a kit. I think it cost him about £18k, but at the end it sure looked good, and seemed very achievable if you have the time and space!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 29th January 2003, 10:45 AM   #9
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
I HAVE TIME, I HAVE TIME!!! I HAVE SPACE, I HAVE SPACE!!! I HAVE NO MONEY, I HAVE NO MONEY!!! I wonder if I built one of these WHERE I would be allowed to fly it... would be kewl to fly it to school and land on the oval.. @100km/Hr I could get to school pretty fast.... there is a large flat area at the back of our school, perhaps they could convert it into a Helicopter landing pad.. That would be so kewl.. hehe... Cos its RIGHT outside my class room door.. Only problem I see is the laws about flying in residential areas.... MAN I WANT A HELICOPTER!!!! oh, I have a question.... what happenes if you are 3km up (3000metres, about 10000feet) and the engine stalls? My brother and I calculated how long it would take for you to hit the ground (not including wind resistance or anything) and we decided allowing 60seconds was fair... aren't you gunna sPlAt!?!?
I don't think you would be able to restart the engine because the blades would be spinning in the opposite direction due to the wind rushing past them... Also, you wouldn't really be able to jump, because as stated above, the blades would still spin at high speed, and still chop you up... So, what WOULD happen? lol
Old 29th January 2003, 11:33 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Helicopter landing

Hello SkinnyBoy,

Actually landing a helicopter under those conditions (although not at that altitude) is part of the training. I think it is called a autorotate landing. It seems that the rotation of the rotor caused by going down can create some lift.
If you really want to know, I think you can get some useful results if you do a search on "model helicopter flying". Although not a case of life and death, it does save a lot of money if you can do am emergency landing. They probably need to a lot more often as well (I trust a big old turbine more than I do a puny two- or fourstroke engine).

Greetings,

Jarno.

Hide this!Advertise here!