Anyone interested in Homebuilt helicopters?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have you guys seen these things yet? Home made helicopters using VW engines and things. They actually fly like real helicopters. up, down, hover, forward, reverse, spin... all the functions. Some can be built for around $8,000 :nod: total... some go to $30,000 + :bawling: They are considered ultralights so you dont need a license or permits

Check it (them) out .
search for Homebuilt helicopters

http://www.vortechonline.com/aw95/

ap0the0sis

pic:

pic:

Attachments

• aw95flying-2.jpg
    aw95flying-2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 265
i think so too. this would be a great projecto to work on. From what i'cve read it takes anywhere from 200 - 800 hours to complete one of these machines. Most of the parts are off the shelf.

I dont think you have to be nuts to fly one of these. You just have to like helicopters and understand them. I've had many R/C helicopters so I have some kind of flight experience? I dont think it would be to difficult to learn to fly these.

I just need to come up with the nessesary funding!!:eek:

I HAVE TIME, I HAVE TIME!!! I HAVE SPACE, I HAVE SPACE!!! I HAVE NO MONEY, I HAVE NO MONEY!!! I wonder if I built one of these WHERE I would be allowed to fly it... would be kewl to fly it to school and land on the oval.. :) @100km/Hr I could get to school pretty fast.... :) there is a large flat area at the back of our school, perhaps they could convert it into a Helicopter landing pad.. :) That would be so kewl.. hehe... Cos its RIGHT outside my class room door.. :) Only problem I see is the laws about flying in residential areas.... MAN I WANT A HELICOPTER!!!! oh, I have a question.... what happenes if you are 3km up (3000metres, about 10000feet) and the engine stalls? My brother and I calculated how long it would take for you to hit the ground (not including wind resistance or anything) and we decided allowing 60seconds was fair... aren't you gunna sPlAt!?!?
I don't think you would be able to restart the engine because the blades would be spinning in the opposite direction due to the wind rushing past them... Also, you wouldn't really be able to jump, because as stated above, the blades would still spin at high speed, and still chop you up... So, what WOULD happen? lol

Helicopter landing

Hello SkinnyBoy,

Actually landing a helicopter under those conditions (although not at that altitude) is part of the training. I think it is called a autorotate landing. It seems that the rotation of the rotor caused by going down can create some lift.
If you really want to know, I think you can get some useful results if you do a search on "model helicopter flying". Although not a case of life and death, it does save a lot of money if you can do am emergency landing. They probably need to a lot more often as well (I trust a big old turbine more than I do a puny two- or fourstroke engine).

Greetings,

Jarno.

So... basically, if I am flying @ 3000m, and the engine fails, I get a broken neck.... Hmm... I was looking for ways to convince my parents to let my build one.. :) lol

Ohh, another question... whats the smallest 2 stroke lawnmower engine that is powerfull enough to lift its self plus the weight of a large model helicopter off the ground? I reccn it would be kewl just to make a LARGE radio control helicopter with a camera on it. :)

Helicopters

I believe they usually use small fourstroke engines for model helicopters, and you would be amazed to see how much they can lift!
A lawnmower engine is probably a bit to bulky, wouldn't be surprised to see someone building a plane or anything with one of those though. If you see the stuff some of us build hifi with, I think those guys will probably use an old car spoiler or the front door of their house for a wing, their kid's go-cart for landing gear and their television remote for a remote control. Don't go out and try all this!
:)

Greetings,

Jarno.

GEN-H4 Personal Scooter

Helicopters is the safest way to fly because of their autorotation capabilitys. Also you can have balistic parachutes installed for added safety.

I saw this one version of a homebuilt helicopter that uses 4 model airplane engines (10 hp each) and has no tail rotor. It counteracts the torque generated by the engines by counter rotating 2 main rotor blades, eliminating the tail rotor.

check out: http://www.engineeringsystem.co.jp/genh4_en/

awsome....!

ap0the0sis

Attachments

• gen h-4.jpg
    gen h-4.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 104
R/C hilicopters are very difficult to fly. They use sophisticated computer radio's for mixing control functions, and are stabilized to a degree with gyros in the tail rotor control circuit. Cost is about $400 for a small used R/C helicopter including engine...The computer radio is another $300.

The crashes tend to be expensive, but once you learn, they are a lot of fun.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.