Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

The Magic of Sugar Cubes
The Magic of Sugar Cubes
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2007, 03:23 PM   #1
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default The Magic of Sugar Cubes

Hello everyone. Just thought I'd post some pictures of my results using sugar cubes to remove text from some panels.

I recall hearing this here, but I forgot about it, that sugar cubes were just abrasive enough to remove silkscreen but not abrasive enough to scratch the paint of a metal or other panel.

So I was reminded when I posted This thread (how to remove text from HP panels), of a few alternatives including the sugar cube technique. I may try some of the others but here is what happened with the cubes.

--pic-- before. I'm going to try to remove the lettering from the top one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (76.2 KB, 379 views)
Old 20th June 2007, 03:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default In progress

In progress, sugar everywhere but things are scraping off...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic1a.jpg (92.6 KB, 350 views)
Old 20th June 2007, 03:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default done...

Finished
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (66.9 KB, 363 views)
Old 20th June 2007, 03:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Observations

I used about 20-30 cubes, this took about 3-4 hours total. Most of it was done in a 1 night marathon session.

The writing comes off slowly and the sugar cubes will not scratch the paint. Obviously the surface should be dry or those cubes will just disintegrate on you

They will, however, scrape off the paint as you see a couple of patches where the paint came completely off and I am down to bare metal.

This just kind of happened without warning so be careful and watch for it. I guess the paint may be thinner in some sections. Also, the sharp edges of the cube will really be much more abrasive than using a flat side.

Also, you see that it is no problem for the cubes to remove the black marker, scratches and scrapes. The text and background silk screening were the toughest things to remove. And there is still barely visible a faded section of silk screen that I don't want to mess with for fear of going down to the metal again.

I really wanted to keep the original color and look of the HP product for this (preamp) so now I have to figure out how to blend in some paint into the patches. Advice on this? paint thinner?

Anyway, there you have it, sugar cubes worked well but you gotta be careful about going too far. Thanks to everyone for their advice on this.
Old 20th June 2007, 03:56 PM   #5
Sonusthree is offline Sonusthree  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Good work!
Glad it worked out. (I still haven't tried it for myself yet.)

Regards,
Martin
Old 20th June 2007, 04:02 PM   #6
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi all:

First I heard of it was from mike @ www.diyenclosures.com, he has a thread in the trading post area.
Old 24th June 2007, 02:22 PM   #7
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Igreen,

I am not sure if this product will do what the sugar cubes do but it works on the same principles. All my friends with kids swear by it! Check it out: http://www.mrclean.com/sites/en_US/m...s/eraser.shtml

As far as touching up paint, do you have any friends in the Auto Body Work field. I think they could give you some good tips. Automotive "Rubbing" and "Polishing Compound" might help with small scratches and stains in the paint surface and smoothing out anything you paint to fill chips, it also helps it look closer to new paint.
Good luck!

Regards//Keith
Old 25th June 2007, 06:00 AM   #8
neutron7 is offline neutron7  Canada
diyAudio Member

Taking silk screen off anodized aluminum is really easy with some acetone. i have done it to remove branding from bike parts.

The Magic of Sugar CubesHide this!Advertise here!