Is it possible or advisable to use a lake as a ground?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was going to run dedicated electrical lines for my stereo. I've read about improving the ground by burying a copper mesh covered in salt to get the best possible ground. I was wondering if I couldn't get the same or even better results by running the ground right into the lake. It's a pretty big lake.

I think that, usually, in a stereo, the earth ground is basically only used for electrical safety (i.e. to make sure the case etc never has AC Mains voltage on it), and the internal "audio ground" is usually either not connected to it at all or is at least partially isolated from it. So I don't think it would usually affect the sound, at all, to have a better earth ground. But "your mileage may vary".

- Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/index.html

I had a "brilliant" suggestion from a friend 25 years ago about a perfect ground system ie Water supply pipe..the pipe was galvanised iron running hundreds of kilometers underground....but had to abandon the idea.. the neutral to pipe earth potential was found to be 90 volts at times...somebody else was also using this technique and thats how the shock came on the pipes !!

Tom, can I say that earthing is not something you should play about with unless you really understand what you are doing and the possible consequences of your actions. Death is a possibility.

If you want a really good understanding of earthing for Audio I would direct you to this paper:- Understanding, Finding, and Eliminating Ground Loops in Audio and Video systems. It is written by Bill Whitlock, president of Jansen Transformers Inc. I head Bill deliver this paper a few weeks ago to the IET (IEE) in Glasgow, Scotland. It really was excellent and most informative...

Hope this is of interest and helps keep you and yours safe.

Ref:
A generic version of the student handouts from Mr. Whitlock's seminars
http://www.jensentransformers.com/an/generic seminar.pdf

tom1356 said:
I was going to run dedicated electrical lines for my stereo. I've read about improving the ground by burying a copper mesh covered in salt to get the best possible ground. I was wondering if I couldn't get the same or even better results by running the ground right into the lake. It's a pretty big lake.

There's some truth in what you are saying. Though not for grounding power lines.

It's commonly used by Ham radio operators to improve the "counterweight" for their antenna systems. Gives a lot better propagation.

Best regards
Ebbe

Bill Whitlock is the authority on all things related to grounding.

Ebbe, I think the word you were looking for is "counterpoise".
But a counterpoise is:
A system of wires or other conductors, elevated above and insulated from ground, forming a lower system of conductors of an antenna.

Kevin Graf said:
Bill Whitlock is the authority on all things related to grounding.

Ebbe, I think the word you were looking for is "counterpoise".
But a counterpoise is:
A system of wires or other conductors, elevated above and insulated from ground, forming a lower system of conductors of an antenna.

I believe you are right. My English isn't that good, so i was lazy, and translated the Danish word directly:blush:.
I just recognised the system with copper wires dug to the ground for (electrical) earthing of large antennas. It is said, that it is a good idea to put salt around the net of wires. Ofcourse it's a must with moist soil too.

best regards
Ebbe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.