John Curl's sinbinning is wrong. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2007, 01:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default John Curl's sinbinning is wrong.

Since no one else seems to think this is worth mentioning I will...

Mr. Curlís years of contributions to audio electronics, to this site and to our hobby, I am appalled that a small number of mean-spirited, self- professed know-it-alls can repeatedly push his buttons and, when heís finally had enough and fights back, blows a fuse or whatever, like any of us would, heís the one who gets suspended.

From experience, which is supported every time I am exposed to the mainstream efforts of the simulation queens trying to strut the perfection of the textbook and the computer, there is no amount of textbook effort and computer simulation that can replace the years of passion, experience and hard work that one dedicated to his craft can contribute.

Even if the young bucks (or the old and in the way) don't agree with him, they could and should if nothing else extend some common courtesy to other people contributing their thoughts and experience and ideas to whatís supposed to be a forum we all can learn from.

Better yet, dump the predisposition that you know it all and realize that, for someone to have earned a place in the audio history books, he must have done something right and just might have been passionate enough about his craft to touch all of the bases in his own process of learning and experimentation.

Put 10 or 20 years and half the effort actually building and listening and I believe most of the people trying to dethrone him would look back sheepishly and hope that the next generation didn't dismiss their efforts so easily and vigorously...

The moderators perhaps should be a bit more aware of pointless attacks and donít let them continue past the point of no return for the one being attacked. And if someone is going to be suspended over it, let it be both attacker and victim, not just the victim.

And while youíre at it, let the true experts have a bit of well-deserved and earned respect. I learn more from the crusty old guy than I do from someone that sits at a computer doing simulations saying that he can't actually build the perfect design because he doesn't have access to a shop... If I was that certain I'd build it on my kitchen table, just to hear how it sounds.

The only reason that we can design on the level we can today is because of the effort put in by John and many others before. We stand on the shoulders of past efforts (giants).

Mike and Lynn Bettinger.
Old 7th June 2007, 01:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

this is probably the wrong forum to be posting this in, likely it will be moved.

While I agree that respect ought to be given where it is due, I also think John's posts on many occasions had a (often very) condescending tone to them which likely fueled retaliation. Years of experience don't make up for a poor attitude. If respect is to be given to someone, they must give it back, celebrity or no. I don't like when someone berates me with a "I'm right, and of course you're wrong" tone and I suspect I'm not alone.

That said, I wasn't there for whatever got him sinbinned so I can't actually comment on what happened or who was at fault.
Old 7th June 2007, 01:42 AM   #3
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Mike,

I moved this thread to it's proper forum. bikehorn, you were correct!

Let me just say that no one, not even one single moderator is belittling the vast contributions made to the audio world by John Curl, or any of the other well known members. This is also true of many people who are not members.

This action was discussed and John knows the why. He did before this action occurred. So with all due respect for John, and the members who learn and enjoy his posts, I will not discuss the reasons. This is between the moderating group and John.

Lets just say that enforcing rules does not always make you a popular person. But there are things that must be done, and people who will disagree. Let's leave it at that.

-Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!