The Central Sound DIY Audio Meet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Terry asks:

...where or when, does a decked canoe and a Kayak become the same thing...

I've often wondered. My daughter and I are building - veeerrrry slowly - a glued-plywood lapstrake "double-paddle canoe" to an Iain Oughtred design (he drew a decked sailing version as well, but we're doing it open). I think it's a question of ancestry: if it's British, it will be seen as descending from the John MacGregor et al designs (more information here) and called a canoe; if it's North American, it's more likely to be seen as a kayak. But I could be wrong, and I'd love to hear from someone who actually knows.

The "messing about in boats" quotation is indeed WITW; it was the Water Rat's incredulous response to Mole's question about whether boating was a worthwhile pursuit. As Rat puts it:

[Mole said] `Do you know, I`ve never been in a boat before in all my life.'

`What?' cried the Rat, open-mouthed: `Never been in a -- you never -- well I -- what have you been doing, then?'

`Is it so nice as all that?' asked the Mole shyly, though he was quite prepared to believe it as he leant back in his seat and surveyed the cushions, the oars, the rowlocks, and all the fascinating fittings, and felt the boat sway lightly under him.

'Nice? It's the only thing,' said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. 'Believe me , my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing," he went on dreamily: "messing - about - in - boats; messing - '

'Look ahead, Rat!' cried the Mole suddenly.

It was too late. The boat struck the bank full tilt. The dreamer, the joyous oarsman, lay on his back at the bottom of the boat, his heels in the air.

A lovely book, and well worth (re-)reading.

Enough off-topic (I blame Terry): I'm sorry that I can't make the Vashon meet. I've got a buddy in Seattle that I'd like to visit, not to mention Boeing Surplus, and the meet would be great. Maybe I'll dedicate next year and hit the British, Australian, VanIsle, and Vashon meets - or at least two of them :D

Regards.

Aengus

[edit] I looked up, and included, a bit more of the quotation.

Aengus said:

My daughter and I are building - veeerrrry slowly - a glued-plywood lapstrake "double-paddle canoe" to an Iain Oughtred design (he drew a decked sailing version as well, but we're doing it open). I think it's a question of ancestry: if it's British, it will be seen as descending from the John MacGregor et al designs (more information here) and called a canoe; if it's North American, it's more likely to be seen as a kayak. But I could be wrong, and I'd love to hear from someone who actually knows.

Aengus is being a little more modest than the reality of his skill would indicate. I gave him a ride home from the Vancouver Island Meet and he was kind enough to show us (Kevin Haskins was also getting a ride to the ferry dock) his shop and boats. He does very nice work IMNSHO. He didn't mention it in his post, but he also had built a "Whisp" rowing skiff designed by Steve Redmond, which has to be one of the nicest flat bottom skiffs ever designed. Very, very nice!

Best Regards,
TerryO

OK, now I'm blushing.

But it's true about the "sloowwwly". The joke around here is that the Whisp (her name is Willow, as in Willow the Whisp) took 13 1/2 years to build - that's how long it was from buying the plans to launch date. That time includes having the plans for a couple of years; buying the plywood and, uh, letting it season for a couple of years; ditto for the Sitka spruce; getting it half-built and then moving into a condo with nowhere to work on it, so storing it in a buddy's farm outbuilding hung from the rafters; moving again, getting the hull back and cleaning out 3" of ratsh*t (yuch); and finally, finishing it off and launching it - we had a launch party.

Steve Redmond seems to be back in business, by the way, and I can recommend the Whisp as a lovely car-toppable rowboat. I never built the sailing rig, though I might someday - I have some lovely Sitka spruce, uh, seasoning. :D

Regards.

Aengus

Aengus said:
OK, now I'm blushing.

But it's true about the "sloowwwly". The joke around here is that the Whisp (her name is Willow, as in Willow the Whisp) took 13 1/2 years to build - that's how long it was from buying the plans to launch date. That time includes having the plans for a couple of years; buying the plywood and, uh, letting it season for a couple of years; ditto for the Sitka spruce; getting it half-built and then moving into a condo with nowhere to work on it, so storing it in a buddy's farm outbuilding hung from the rafters; moving again, getting the hull back and cleaning out 3" of ratsh*t (yuch); and finally, finishing it off and launching it - we had a launch party.

Steve Redmond seems to be back in business, by the way, and I can recommend the Whisp as a lovely car-toppable rowboat. I never built the sailing rig, though I might someday - I have some lovely Sitka spruce, uh, seasoning. :D

Regards.

Aengus

Actually I know of people that have taken "much" longer than a mere 13 1/2 years. IMHO, air dried lumber is a must for boats, being much stronger if nothing else. Kiln drying just kills the wood for boatbuilding, makes it quite brittle and hard to bend without breaking.

The sailing version of the Whisp was a marconi sprit rig with a lee board wasn't it? Darn nice boat!

Best Regards,
TerryO

pinkmouse said:
Should I rename this thread "Small Boats of the Pacific Northwest"? :)

You're right, it has taken a turn from the topic, I'm sorry to say that I'm guilty. The simple truth is: I'm a Boat Nut, although some that know me might say that it's not confined to just boats ;)

I promise that I'll try to do better in the future, say... year after next?

If anyone actually wants to start a thread on the acoustic properties of an open boat under sail, I'm all for it.

"My boombox playing Fink Loyd's DSOTM under a standing lug sail is just like being there."

Best Regards,
TerryO

Aengus said:

Picky, picky; but I'll desist.

Terry, we'll have to get together for a coffee or beer and talk boats next time I go to Seattle.

Regards.

Aengus

They have the Seattle Wooden Boat Show in July and The Wooden Boat Festival coming up at Pt. Townsend, September 7 - 9, 2007. What could be better than coffee on the waterfront with the smell of Pine Tar in the air?

Just a thought, but whenever you get a chance let me know. For a brief moment of insanity, Kevin and I thought of sailing his boat from Pt. Angeles to Victoria to attend the recent meet at Dave's.
That reminds me, I promised Kevin that I'd design some Lazy Jacks, Jiffy Reefs and Sail Laces for him.

And in answer to your implied "On Topic" query: No, I'm not sure what speakers they use at the Boat Shows ;)

Best Regards,
TerryO

TerryO said:

They have the Seattle Wooden Boat Show in July and The Wooden Boat Festival coming up at Pt. Townsend, September 7 - 9, 2007. What could be better than coffee on the waterfront with the smell of Pine Tar in the air?

Just a thought, but whenever you get a chance let me know. For a brief moment of insanity, Kevin and I thought of sailing his boat from Pt. Angeles to Victoria to attend the recent meet at Dave's.
That reminds me, I promised Kevin that I'd design some Lazy Jacks, Jiffy Reefs and Sail Laces for him.

And in answer to your implied "On Topic" query: No, I'm not sure what speakers they use at the Boat Shows ;)

Best Regards,
TerryO

I'll meet you in Port Townsend Terry. As long as you don't mention that I sail a piece of plastic around on the water.

Variac said:
My Dad grew up on Vashon in the late 30's !

Now just because you are having this event doesn't mean that you can't come visit us too in San Francisco at BURNInG AMP!!!

I've got a boat too, but it's plastic... It's an Olson though Terry!

Possible boat rides in S.F. bay for the hardy!!!

It may seem strange, but I've got a San Francisco Great Pelican. Just an extended and widened SF Pelican with a cabin. Battened Junk-rigged sails, it needs a fair amount of work though, I guess it's waiting for me to retire.
:D

As a "side note," the Central Sound DIY Meet is TOMORROW(Saturday) on Vashon Island. I hope that some of you that are undecided will elect to show up. These meets are a lot of fun and very laid back. Now, having said all that, I can assure you that it really feels good to be back on topic, complete with a clear conscience.

Best Regards,
TerryO

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yeah guys, go. It's fantastic to meet your fellow fanatics...

The S.F. Pelicon looks a little like an El Toro on mega steroids.
I know that there have been various sizes.

At a fun race once We passed one and it had 2 12 yr old girls in it- moving along on SF Bay looking perfectly safe, with that little bowsprit and high gunnels... gaff rig...a lovely sight...

From what I've read, the original was developed by a guy for exactly that - a boat his kids could take out in the bay in some safety...

Few people around here even know much about them...

I hope everyone made it home safe and sound from Vashon Island. I can't speak for anyone except myself, but I thought it went exceedingly well.

I'd like to extend my heartfelt thanks to Lew Hardy of Vivaldi Audio, Doc Bottlehead and Jerry Pomeroy, President of the Pacific Northwest Audio Society for all their hard work in bringing this together.

I also like to thank one of the Northwest's most prolific Speaker Builders, John Nail (and his wife Rhonda), for making the long drive from Eastern Washington to the meet and for offering to measure people's speakers. One of the builders actually was able to correct a phase problem with his speakers, right at the meet, because of the frequency response measurements that John performed.

The Speaker Builders made a big turnout and there were a lot of different designs to listen to and compare. Nice work Guys!!!

I had some favorites, but since I built every one of them, I won't bother going into greater detail. :smash:

OK, maybe there were a few (?) that were as good as mine, but I've always prided myself that "nobody" ever got better sound for less money than I could, but it seems that several people may have done just that.
The other, totally unexpected, development was that Mini-Speakers made an appearance in force. There were a number of speakers driven by 4 and 3 inch drivers (several fullrange and a number of 2-ways) that sounded, IMHO, absolutely phenomenal.

Best Regards,
TerryO

After the last PNAS speaker contest and this meet I think we need a mathmatical expression for Cost/Listening Pleaure.
I got the impression that the middle ground for audio seems to be rapidly disappearing. Good sounding speakers are either very expensive and complicated or very inexpensive and simple.
Joe's Bowling Balls blur the lines at bit however.
Also, VSAC is alive and well.
;)

A few pics

The good pictures will likely be published in the next Pacific Northwest Audio Society Newsletter. Here's some quick snapshots in the meantime.

Here are Joe's Balls.

Attachments

• joeballssm.jpg
    joeballssm.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 277
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.