The Central Sound DIY Audio Meet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Durn,
If you get a set of Doug's phase plugs I think that you'll be pleased by the improvement they're capable of providing. I don't know if you got a chance to listen to my "Hi-Tweek Black Box Speakers" at the Vashon Meet, but they sound much better than they did before the modification. Part of that is due, quite honestly, to a couple of thin coats of Dave's (Doug) "Puzzlecoat", but I've done enough cone doping over the years to have a fair idea what kind of improvements would be realized. The Phase Plugs really take the drivers (Radio Shack Blue Box 40-1197's) to the next level. At the Vancouver Island Meet last month, Dave added some plugs to a pair of Visaton B200 drivers which really produced a rather major improvement.
Now, without sounding like a salesman, I really think that most fullrange drivers stand to benefit from incorporating the plugs.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Jerry,

Yeah, unfortunately I did miss them, but I appreciate the report. Phase plugs are on the short list for sure.
BTW: I ran my GC through the BiBs and the extra power was telling... More bass than I would have thought possible :D but the higher wattage testing has accentuated the need for tuning/tweaks for mids and highs. I think I'll read Bob's thread on the enABLE process.

7/10

Audio Party last Saturday

Hi, The get together was great! It is nice to see the pictues. I am the "mystery person" with the Voigt Pipes. The drivers are the Fostex 166.

Darren, did you have 166's or 167's in your BIB's? Man, did they have bass! We should have tried them with my baffle step correction circuits in the line.

I wish now, that I had personally gotten peoples contact information. I would like to hook up with the guy who was measuring speakers outside, since he lives the closest to me.

Also, I missed out on hearing some of the speakers. How did those open baffle ones sound?

PS. I work part time for a guy who opened up a Hi End Audio Store in Ellensburg about a year ago. We are planning an "Audio Party" on 9/15/07 at the store. Let me know (anyone) who would like to come. We would like to have you.

Sincerely,

Benjamin

Benjamin,
I'm glad you piped up (pun not originally intended, but applicable:D ).
I really wanted to talk to you about your lovely cabinets as well as the BSC. Maybe the wife and I will take a drive on the 15th.
My drivers are 166s, but I neglected to correct the original poster. If you find yourself in the Issaquah area, we can play around with BSC and I can demo the units with more power and better positioning. My friends have all gone looking for the nonexisting sub :cool:

Drop me a line and i'll send over a phone number.

BTW: It was nice meeting you!

7/10
darren@pearceklan(dot)com

Re: Audio Party last Saturday

BenjaminWebber said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Big Snip~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, I missed out on hearing some of the speakers. How did those open baffle ones sound?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Another Big Snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Benjamin

Benjamin,

BTW: Do you go by Benjamin, Ben or Brian? ;)

If the Open Baffle speakers you refer to are the ones shown (in post #42) behind Chad Kirby's speakers, then I can identify them as Tim Forman's. The upper MTM OB was a design by Dan Wiggins to which Tim added the "W" baffle dual Shiva bass module. IIRC, Tim (or Jim?) powered the Bass unit with a Subwoofer plate amp, while driving the MTM drivers with the main amp. During the little bit that I got to hear them they sounded very, very nice. Dan's original design was well done, but Tim made it much better, IMHO. I thought the integration with the bass module was just about perfect, no mean feat if you've followed the various OB threads on this, and other forums, and witnessed the agony others have experienced in trying to accomplish what Tim was successfully able to do.

As a side note, perhaps you noticed that Chad Kirby, Tim Forman and myself were just about the only "normal" speaker builders at the event?

I mean, think about it, Lew Hardy, John Nail, Dave Rosgaard, Mike Valeri, and yourself are REAL BIG guys, with Doug Nash and Darren not far behind.
Actually, I "should" be in the first group, being 6' 7" myself...or at least I was, before that tragic elevator accident. I'd rather not go into it, as it's a rather painful subject, other than to say that I've become opposed to compression, in all it's forms.

Best Regards,
TerryO (4' 9" & 345 lbs)

Hi Darren and Terry,

Sorry to take so long to "pipe in" agin. I do work a lot of hours lattely. Thank You Darren for the compliments on my "woodworking". This was my first try, and I didn't have much experience or tools. I did take my time, but still ended up with some imperfections etc. Believe it or not, I used oak plywood and some 2"x2" common stock from Home Depot. The worst part was waiting for my brother to have some time to come from Richland with his router. I knew I wanted the edges to be rounded, but didn't want to buy a router, yet. When I thought I was done, I liked the speed, dynamics, etc., but did not like the "shoutyness" in the upper-mids. I got some advice and help from Terry Cain, and some people on the Bob Brines forum, namely Scott Lingren. I did a lot of experimenting (stuffings, BSC's, port size, etc.) which was a lot like what I think having a baby would be like, but am quite pleased in the end. I have to have them positioned "just right" in the room, however.

I am dying now, to have a little money and time (both at once!) to build some more speakers! I'm not sure where to start. I want to build some Bib's more than ever, now that I know what kind of bass they have. It would be fun to build the 100 dollar Tang Bangers too. I did buy the plans for the BassZilla's. Yes, Terry, those were the OB's that I did not hear. It is encouraging to hear that they did sound very nice. Maybe the BassZilla's are now "outdated" compared to those ones? I am not up to running sims etc. yet. I just want to build a great pair of speakers for my own use. Any advice is welcome.

I thought Doc B's speakers might be ones you could through any type of music at, (for example my pipes are pretty good for jazz, but maybe not for wild Stravinski) and worth the $500 or $600.

Of coarse a person would have to play his own music in his own home, to really know, but I thought Lew's birdseye maple speakers may have been some of the best speakers I have ever heard. Wow! Just cool to know that there is something like that out there.

Well, I'll stop rambling. Here is the address of The Audio Attic, were we will be having the audio party on September 15th.
308 North Main
Ellensburg, WA 98926

Sincerely,

Benjamin

to: BenjaminWebber ..

Hi Ben,

I guess that would be me that lives near you......but you already knew that, right?

I got your message, though I don't know if I will be available or, if available, for how long.
I am scheduled to be installing windows in a bay-window part of my sister's house this weekend, and I am not sure how long that's going to take.
If you want to discuss things, my email address is: SpkrNuts@aol.com. Feel free to drop me a line there.

To everyone else who attended the event. I must say that there were several nicely executed speakers there....some really nice examples of woodworking, etc. Of course, I cheat.....I just throw on paint....
I noticed that there was a preponderance of mini speakers, too. And full range single driver systems. It seems that toobs are very popular...and the Bottlehead meistro had some very interesting stuff on hand.....gonna have to check into that further. I don't know if toobs are for me, I hear they tend to warm up a room and I already run a tad hot...don't like to be in an overly warm room for too long. We'll have to see.

Terry.....what can I say....but "thank god, I finally used up the purple" However, I did find another interesting color.....and it ain't black or dark gray.:D It IS dark and classy looking....though I may throw caution to the wind and go with something even MORE eye-abusing than the purple...maybe a red or bright blue or canary yellow......well, I just don't know for sure, yet.

Re: to: BenjaminWebber ..

John Nail said:

To everyone else who attended the event. I must say that there were several nicely executed speakers there....some really nice examples of woodworking, etc. Of course, I cheat.....I just throw on paint....
I noticed that there was a preponderance of mini speakers, too. And full range single driver systems. It seems that toobs are very popular...and the Bottlehead meistro had some very interesting stuff on hand.....gonna have to check into that further. I don't know if toobs are for me, I hear they tend to warm up a room and I already run a tad hot...don't like to be in an overly warm room for too long. We'll have to see.

Terry.....what can I say....but "thank god, I finally used up the purple" However, I did find another interesting color.....and it ain't black or dark gray.:D It IS dark and classy looking....though I may throw caution to the wind and go with something even MORE eye-abusing than the purple...maybe a red or bright blue or canary yellow......well, I just don't know for sure, yet.

John,

Toobs can be very addictive, the only shortcoming being that they tend to be on the short end when it comes to power. With inefficient multiway speakers, a lot of power is used up getting them to satisfactory levels, often at the expense of dynamic headroom. I think that Lew Hardy's Vivaldi speakers demonstrated that efficient (toob friendly) speakers and outstanding, dynamic sound are not mutually exclusive.

I can see that Rhonda (John's better half) has been influencing him again. He's admitted that he tends to be pretty conservative when it comes to color. Thank goodness she's there to save him from color blindness. I wish that I could use bright, vivid colors, but Bondo tends to only come in sedate, muted colors, although I suppose I could use colored pencils to scribble notes to myself on the cabinets instead of my usual #2 lead.:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

maybe a red or bright blue or canary yellow

Nothin' wrong with that. Our missing friend Terry Cain used many beautiful, bright colors for his Abby.

For those thinking about the Adire DDRs, keep in mind that these things crave power. If you are wanting to use a 5 watt amp you'd be better served with a different design.

I would like to join in saying thanks to Lew (spelled correctly this time) and hope we can all do this again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.