Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2007, 01:48 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Terry,
Indeed it is...

Darren
Old 19th August 2007, 04:19 AM   #22
Aengus is offline Aengus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Terry asks:

Quote:
...where or when, does a decked canoe and a Kayak become the same thing...
I've often wondered. My daughter and I are building - veeerrrry slowly - a glued-plywood lapstrake "double-paddle canoe" to an Iain Oughtred design (he drew a decked sailing version as well, but we're doing it open). I think it's a question of ancestry: if it's British, it will be seen as descending from the John MacGregor et al designs (more information here) and called a canoe; if it's North American, it's more likely to be seen as a kayak. But I could be wrong, and I'd love to hear from someone who actually knows.

The "messing about in boats" quotation is indeed WITW; it was the Water Rat's incredulous response to Mole's question about whether boating was a worthwhile pursuit. As Rat puts it:

Quote:
[Mole said] `Do you know, I`ve never been in a boat before in all my life.'

`What?' cried the Rat, open-mouthed: `Never been in a -- you never -- well I -- what have you been doing, then?'

`Is it so nice as all that?' asked the Mole shyly, though he was quite prepared to believe it as he leant back in his seat and surveyed the cushions, the oars, the rowlocks, and all the fascinating fittings, and felt the boat sway lightly under him.

'Nice? It's the only thing,' said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. 'Believe me , my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing," he went on dreamily: "messing - about - in - boats; messing - '

'Look ahead, Rat!' cried the Mole suddenly.

It was too late. The boat struck the bank full tilt. The dreamer, the joyous oarsman, lay on his back at the bottom of the boat, his heels in the air.
A lovely book, and well worth (re-)reading.

Enough off-topic (I blame Terry): I'm sorry that I can't make the Vashon meet. I've got a buddy in Seattle that I'd like to visit, not to mention Boeing Surplus, and the meet would be great. Maybe I'll dedicate next year and hit the British, Australian, VanIsle, and Vashon meets - or at least two of them

Regards.

Aengus

[edit] I looked up, and included, a bit more of the quotation.
Old 19th August 2007, 05:03 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

"My daughter and I are building - veeerrrry slowly - a glued-plywood lapstrake "double-paddle canoe" to an Iain Oughtred design"

Right on! Ian O puts out some wonderful designs. Good on ya.

7/10
(Darren)
Old 19th August 2007, 06:20 PM   #24
TerryO is online now TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aengus

My daughter and I are building - veeerrrry slowly - a glued-plywood lapstrake "double-paddle canoe" to an Iain Oughtred design (he drew a decked sailing version as well, but we're doing it open). I think it's a question of ancestry: if it's British, it will be seen as descending from the John MacGregor et al designs (more information here) and called a canoe; if it's North American, it's more likely to be seen as a kayak. But I could be wrong, and I'd love to hear from someone who actually knows.

Aengus is being a little more modest than the reality of his skill would indicate. I gave him a ride home from the Vancouver Island Meet and he was kind enough to show us (Kevin Haskins was also getting a ride to the ferry dock) his shop and boats. He does very nice work IMNSHO. He didn't mention it in his post, but he also had built a "Whisp" rowing skiff designed by Steve Redmond, which has to be one of the nicest flat bottom skiffs ever designed. Very, very nice!

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 20th August 2007, 02:35 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

OK, now I'm blushing.

But it's true about the "sloowwwly". The joke around here is that the Whisp (her name is Willow, as in Willow the Whisp) took 13 1/2 years to build - that's how long it was from buying the plans to launch date. That time includes having the plans for a couple of years; buying the plywood and, uh, letting it season for a couple of years; ditto for the Sitka spruce; getting it half-built and then moving into a condo with nowhere to work on it, so storing it in a buddy's farm outbuilding hung from the rafters; moving again, getting the hull back and cleaning out 3" of ratsh*t (yuch); and finally, finishing it off and launching it - we had a launch party.

Steve Redmond seems to be back in business, by the way, and I can recommend the Whisp as a lovely car-toppable rowboat. I never built the sailing rig, though I might someday - I have some lovely Sitka spruce, uh, seasoning.

Regards.

Aengus
Old 21st August 2007, 01:05 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
OK, now I'm blushing.

But it's true about the "sloowwwly". The joke around here is that the Whisp (her name is Willow, as in Willow the Whisp) took 13 1/2 years to build - that's how long it was from buying the plans to launch date. That time includes having the plans for a couple of years; buying the plywood and, uh, letting it season for a couple of years; ditto for the Sitka spruce; getting it half-built and then moving into a condo with nowhere to work on it, so storing it in a buddy's farm outbuilding hung from the rafters; moving again, getting the hull back and cleaning out 3" of ratsh*t (yuch); and finally, finishing it off and launching it - we had a launch party.

Steve Redmond seems to be back in business, by the way, and I can recommend the Whisp as a lovely car-toppable rowboat. I never built the sailing rig, though I might someday - I have some lovely Sitka spruce, uh, seasoning.

Regards.

Aengus
Actually I know of people that have taken "much" longer than a mere 13 1/2 years. IMHO, air dried lumber is a must for boats, being much stronger if nothing else. Kiln drying just kills the wood for boatbuilding, makes it quite brittle and hard to bend without breaking.

The sailing version of the Whisp was a marconi sprit rig with a lee board wasn't it? Darn nice boat!

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 21st August 2007, 01:12 AM   #27
diyAudio Moderator

Should I rename this thread "Small Boats of the Pacific Northwest"?
Old 21st August 2007, 01:29 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse

You're right, it has taken a turn from the topic, I'm sorry to say that I'm guilty. The simple truth is: I'm a Boat Nut, although some that know me might say that it's not confined to just boats

I promise that I'll try to do better in the future, say... year after next?

If anyone actually wants to start a thread on the acoustic properties of an open boat under sail, I'm all for it.

"My boombox playing Fink Loyd's DSOTM under a standing lug sail is just like being there."

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 21st August 2007, 03:10 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Picky, picky; but I'll desist.

Terry, we'll have to get together for a coffee or beer and talk boats next time I go to Seattle.

Regards.

Aengus
Old 21st August 2007, 03:34 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Picky, picky; but I'll desist.

Terry, we'll have to get together for a coffee or beer and talk boats next time I go to Seattle.

Regards.

Aengus

They have the Seattle Wooden Boat Show in July and The Wooden Boat Festival coming up at Pt. Townsend, September 7 - 9, 2007. What could be better than coffee on the waterfront with the smell of Pine Tar in the air?

Just a thought, but whenever you get a chance let me know. For a brief moment of insanity, Kevin and I thought of sailing his boat from Pt. Angeles to Victoria to attend the recent meet at Dave's.
That reminds me, I promised Kevin that I'd design some Lazy Jacks, Jiffy Reefs and Sail Laces for him.

And in answer to your implied "On Topic" query: No, I'm not sure what speakers they use at the Boat Shows

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hide this!Advertise here!