The Central Sound DIY Audio Meet - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2007, 07:13 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Well Terry, our meeting should go fairly well if my next two words don't send you into fits of hysteria... Sailing Canoe

Maybe I'll try to dress up the BiBs a bit so they're not too dreadfully embarrassing .

looking forward to the event

Darren
Old 18th August 2007, 07:18 PM   #12
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
Hmm, a new field of plastic surgery?
Old 18th August 2007, 07:29 PM   #13
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seventenths
Well Terry, our meeting should go fairly well if my next two words don't send you into fits of hysteria... Sailing Canoe

Maybe I'll try to dress up the BiBs a bit so they're not too dreadfully embarrassing .

looking forward to the event

Darren
Darren,
About your Sailing Canoe, is it decked or open? I greatly admire the whole spectrum of these. Probably the most fun per foot ever conceived by man. I've wanted to do one for years, a small decked lapstrake hull with a batwing sail.

As for your BIB's, have you ever seen any of my speakers? Raw MDF with notes in pencil all over them, or in some cases where I'm showing off, splotches of Bondo covering some of the MDF. This is a DIY meet, so you're among friends. I wouldn't worry too much, as many there will have gone through the same process and could care less what they look like.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 18th August 2007, 07:44 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse

Hmm, a new field of plastic surgery?
Pink,
As you may not be aware, I am only one of the dozen or so personalities inhabiting this body. It may be that there were more than one of us "online" when I typed this

A more common excuse would be that I was typing faster than my brain works, and yes, I knew that Navel and Naval are different words. I actually was going to go back and correct that, but my wife wanted help and while I was away from the computer I forgot to fix the spelling and just hit "send."

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 18th August 2007, 08:01 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Terry,
Sadly, the only hulls I currently own are surfboards (and not the surfboard design specifically referred to as a "hull"). I have, however, been dreaming of building a decked sailing canoe for far too long.
I find myself torn between a 50/50 boat and something leaning heavily toward sail but still short of an IC. Hmmmmm... I need to get off the fence and just build something.

I may fire up the band saw to TRY cutting some veneers, but if things don't work out, I'll try not to worry about the warts

Darren
Old 18th August 2007, 08:34 PM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TerryO
...while I was away from the computer I forgot to fix the spelling and just hit "send."
Happens to us all!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 18th August 2007, 08:47 PM   #17
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

How about a sailing kayak. A hard chine hull with two outriggers, of about 70% hull length, and attached using two arms per, pivoted at the top of the kayak hull, spring loaded into the kayak hull bulkheads and also to each other. Mast mounted just behind the "paddle" station with jib and lanteen sail and a shark fin keel? You could rig the lanteen for limited boom travel from posts on the outriggers? Ah well, I just want one, but I'm much to smart to actually lose fingers making it.

Should I bring some Electron Pools for phules to play with"

Bud
Old 18th August 2007, 10:55 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BudP
How about a sailing kayak. A hard chine hull with two outriggers, of about 70% hull length, and attached using two arms per, pivoted at the top of the kayak hull, spring loaded into the kayak hull bulkheads and also to each other. Mast mounted just behind the "paddle" station with jib and lanteen sail and a shark fin keel? You could rig the lanteen for limited boom travel from posts on the outriggers? Ah well, I just want one, but I'm much to smart to actually lose fingers making it.

Should I bring some Electron Pools for phules to play with"

Bud
Bud,
You've brought up an interesting notion, where or when, does a decked canoe and a Kayak become the same thing? Actually, the construction of the originals is quite different, but with a lot of the modern materials and techniques it becomes a lot harder to tell one from the other. With the outriggers it becomes a trimaran (sp?) and we're off again in another direction, but who cares? It's just a lot of fun.

I really believe that everyone should build at least one boat in their lifetime, especially with their kids. There's something intrinsically satisfying about it that must appeal to some atavistic longing in a man's soul. Highly Recommended!!!

Electron Pools? Well, I've never been known for being very smart, so it sound like my type of thing. Whatever it is

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 18th August 2007, 11:17 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

At the risk of sounding heretical on an audio site;
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing-
half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."

Canoes and kayaks are kissing cousins... and whats an ama or two between friends?
My name is Darren and I'm a small boat addict, be they canoes, kayaks, out-riggers, catamarans or tri's or _____________ .

7/10 (of the earths surface)
Darren
Old 19th August 2007, 12:21 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seventenths
At the risk of sounding heretical on an audio site;
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing-
half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."

7/10 (of the earths surface)
Darren

Darren,
That's from The Wind in the Willows isn't it? My old brain just gets worse and worse, it seems I can't remember anything anymore.
Best Regards,
TerryO

Hide this!Advertise here!