Prototype equipment rack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I threw this together because I had that slab of granite sitting in the garage for months. To paraphrase one of the Simpsons characters: " poorly guarded graveyards are an excellent source of audio rack materials"...

The granite, which actually came from a photolithography machine at a semiconductor fab, is 23" x 28" x 4" and weighs about 240 lbs. I built the frame using 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe (I love that stuff- it is cheap, strong, easy to work with, and available everywhere!).

Alas this is not the final configuration. The overhang on the front means I'd have to reach under it to get at equipment on the shelves below. Not quite what I wanted. I also decided it has just a little too much wobble. I wouldn't want it to land on my son...

It has only three legs because there are 3 stainless steel pucks bolted to the bottom of the granite. I spaced the legs and added the 3" reducers at the top to just fit over those pucks. I think I'll be going to 4 legs.

I'll be redesigning and rebuilding in the next week or so.

MR

Attachments

• rack2.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 266
I just decided to build it because I need a rack, I've got the granite monster sitting there, and none of the commercially available racks seem to be right (and most are grossly overpriced). I sure can't ship it anywhere... I don't actually think it will do a thing for the sound. I also don't think the material matters much, especially when the mass is as great as this. Total cost for the pipe, fittings, and glue ran about $25

If I had a turntable, it would go up there, and I would expect few problems from floor vibrations to affect playback, but my floor is carpet and pad over concrete, so even with a turntable, it wouldn't matter much. I don't think it will make any difference at all with a CD player.

MR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.