Speaker recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to build a home theatre system and I need some recommendations for speakers. I have some JBL Venue Tour series bookshelf speakers that I'd like to use as front speakers, and I need some help matching these with other speakers. I also have some Bose Model 100 speakers that might work well for the rear channels, but I'd like to hear what you think about that. I just want to build a 5.1 system, so 2 front channels, 2 rear channels, a center channel, and a subwoofer, and I'm looking to spend under 300USD. Any thoughts?

la-li-lu-le-lo said:
I'm trying to build a home theatre system and I need some recommendations for speakers. I have some JBL Venue Tour series bookshelf speakers that I'd like to use as front speakers, and I need some help matching these with other speakers. I also have some Bose Model 100 speakers that might work well for the rear channels, but I'd like to hear what you think about that. I just want to build a 5.1 system, so 2 front channels, 2 rear channels, a center channel, and a subwoofer, and I'm looking to spend under 300USD. Any thoughts?

Sounds like you have speakers for front and rear and just need center and sub. I'd estimate a value priced DIY Dayton system of sub and center would exceed $300.

If you are happy with the sound from the speakers you have I'd leave out the center channel. Ideally, a center channel should match in tone with front L/R. Matching of rear is less essential.

That leaves $300 for a sub... for that I'd recommend either going commercial or building a Dayton Reference Series sub.

Re: Re: Speaker recommendations?

If you are happy with the sound from the speakers you have I'd leave out the center channel. Ideally, a center channel should match in tone with front L/R. Matching of rear is less essential.

Really? When I've tried using my receiver (Pioneer VSX-D810S) with no center channel before, and when using Pro Logic or some 5.1 source, I could distinctly tell that I was missing sound from the center channel. In that regard, I think a center channel is more important to me than a subwoofer. Can you recommend a center channel to match my front speakers, preferably for less than $100?

I see. You are more into the center dialog that booming explosions.

Ok, well, I've never heard the "JBL Venue Tour". If you are willing to build your own center in the DIY spirit, then I'd suggest the Modula M/T over on htguide.com. It won several budget class competitions. It should cost about $200 to build.

I used to recommend the Take5 series from Energy Speakers as the ultimate budget speaker. I no longer like NHT speakers since they've changed their product line.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-page.php?id=34

Unfortunately, I'm at a loss to find a good center at $100. If you can step up to $250, then there's a lot more options.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.