diyAudio Support Idea (Jason please read) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2003, 04:01 PM   #1
Apogee is offline Apogee  United States
diyAudio Member

Exclamation diyAudio Support Idea (Jason please read)

I attemped to email this to Jason and it was bounced... Here's the message that I sent...

What do the rest of you think of this idea? Is this something that you would be willing to pay for to insure that the information on this site will always be at your fingertips????

Original message to Jason
-------------------------------------

Hi Jason,

First, I'd like to say thanks for a great site!!! I've really enjoyed it
for quite a long time... You've done an outstanding job!!!

I had an idea regarding how to generate a bit of income for you/the site. I would be willing to purchase backups of the site on CD ROM just to have as an information resource... This idea came to me a couple of months ago when the site was down and I thought "oh **** what if it's gone forever". Luckily it wasn't but it still made me aware of the issue...

The idea would be to sell backups of the site on a subscription basis. Perhaps a new version every six months could be released with the members paying an annual subscription fee of $50 or $75 dollars... I don't know the total size of the site or even if you'd be willing to do this but I do think more than just myself would be interested in having this information permanently preserved for reference purposes...

This would also give you an income stream to help support the site...

Perhaps it might be worth inquiring to the members to see if they'd be willing to pay for this... I know I certainly would...

Anyway, thanks again for all the hard work and a great site!

Best Regards,
Old 22nd January 2003, 05:44 PM   #2
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

Actually a nice idea.
Wasnt it proposed before? Cant find it.

A diyaudio.com database with an update option?

I wonder how big this site already is. Really no idea.

If it comes to this Id prefer a single payment for the CD(s) rather than an annual fee and I guess that is what most would prefer.

Jens
Old 22nd January 2003, 10:19 PM   #3
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Hi!

Which email address did you send it to? I haven't checked my (home/diy) email in probably about a week.

Sounds like a great idea. Ideally the CD would be created on the fly, burnt on demand by a 3rd party, and shipped out. We do something similar at my 'day job' where we print a book on demand.

Non intrusive ways of making some money on the side while retaining the integrity and non commercial feel to the site are welcome!

FWIW there are daily "incremental" backups of the database, monthly 'fresh' backups, and everything is uploaded offsite daily.

Jason.
Old 22nd January 2003, 10:37 PM   #4
trwh is offline trwh  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Jason,

Out of curiosity, how big are the database files? How many kb / Mb per week / month do we create?
Old 23rd January 2003, 01:17 AM   #5
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Including attachments and various other bits and pieces we currently have around 700MB of user data.
Old 23rd January 2003, 08:25 AM   #6
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

Is it possible to make a diyaudio-CD that you can copy to your harddrive and update yourself??
Why dont you start a poll whod be interested?
Maybe in the Wiki-section.

Jens

Hide this!Advertise here!