super audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SACD and DVD-A are both higher resolution formats.
HOWEVER, both formats are dying due to lack of record company support,as well as the general public who think MP3 and i.pods are HI-FI. SACD releases these days are mainly Classical, and the occasional release of well known , much earlier releases.
DVD-A, ditto. Have a look at (for example) the MusicDirect site, and you will see what I mean. These days, most of the new audiophile type releases are on limited pressing, vinyl !!!
BTW, I have a Pioneer SACD/DVD-A player,but on many players the analogue out implementation is less than awe inspiring.
The record companies won't let you use digital out either (SACD), so you can't get better quality.Sometimes, a quality CD through a good DAC , can sound very close to the SACD version. In fact, some people prefer the CD version via a good upsampling DAC.

SandyK

Meh. It's almost inconceivable DVD-A is failing given the immense penetration of playback machines already in homes. Chalk it up to yet another another Sony-driven format war (weren't Beta and Minidisc punishment enough?), audio-only DVD-A discs which cost significantly more than audio+video regular DVDs, noxious DRM restrictions, and last that for most CD is 'perfect enough'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.