Street party bikes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2007, 05:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

hello everyone.

i don't have any photos of my "street party bike" yet as it isn't working at the moment. my sony CD player's spindle is grinding the base so it's won't play anything. it's more of a cruising bike than a street party one. it's a mountain bike with a pair of mission M71s hanging off the rack in back in banjo saddlebags. as i already had most of the parts needed to throw it together, i decided to invest in a sonic impact class T amp to get rolling. i loved my panasonic class D reciever already, so getting a sonic impact was a no brainer.

the saddle bags are lined with a few layers of cut down 1/4" camping pad to keep the speakers from rattling in the cases. had i known back then i could just buy pannier hooks for about $2.50 a pair, i would have bought them instead of $80 worth of saddle bags. then, i could also unplug the ports for more bass as well as have a cleaner looking install.

on top of the rack sits a little dollar store basket that i put the amp in. i lined the underside with a piece of the camping mat to keep it from rattling too. it's held down by two bungee cords with pieces of velcro wrapped around them. i use the cords to suspend and shockproof the CD player. it works great. i've never had a dropout.

i came here though because i'm planning on hooking up the bike i edited in the photo i'm posting here. i like the idea of a trike because it's much more stable than trying to hook a mountain bike up. whenever i'm getting off my mountain bike, it tries to tip over or do wheelies with all the weight out back. not only that, 5 1/4" 2 ways with 10 watts can't compete with a nightclub's system blasting out open doors in a parking lot. the DJs here SUCK. i want to build a bike to "funk them up". everything they play is atonal and attitudal dreck.

i joined here so that i could post a thread to see if anyone knows where i could get 25wpc class D modules for my mains and a 50w monoblock for bass. i don't want to get too power hungry as i'm going to be using NiMH AAA and D cells. i don't want to lug a 40 pound car battery around in an approximately 20"w X 10"d X 12"h 3/4" MDF box with multiple drivers and probably some custom lighting too.

i can't create any threads yet, i guess because of posting probation, so i'll visit this thread. i'll be needing help from more tech saavy than me members to design the system. it will definately be acoustic suspension as i like tight punch bass and hate ported resonant boom. it gives me a headache.

i'm thinking of going with up to 4 X 8" daytons for bass duties as doubling drivers twice should give me 6 free dB, but wonder if that would actually be bad as they would roll off quicker. i know it takes internal volume to get extension. would a single larger driver actually dig deeper?

these are the kinds of questions i need to plan out the system. i DO have a pic that i photo edited of the bike i'm looking into. it's alot nicer looking than my 15 year old mountain bike.

some info i can share with everyone here is 1st check fossilfool.com out. it's a site dedicated to street party bikes and they sell some off the shelf gear too. as i started researching "bike stereos", i started finding sites like that one and this one too. there's another site that should be linked to fossilfool, or at least that FF is linked to. i can't remember what it's called though. it's related to FF. they want pics of bike systems, so definately stop there and show your stuff off. i was surprised to find there's actually a bicycle street party scene just last month.

as to batteries, energizer NiMHs are about the best you can get according to the shootout i linked to from steve's-digicams.com. photographer's are really into battery performance which helps us portable audio people out. good batteries are only part of the equation though. a good charger will get those last few millivolts out of a battery as well as not shorten it's lifespan like quick chargers do.

if you want to read up on batteries and chargers, check this link out. BTW, not all 2500MH (etc.) batteries are created equal. some manufacturers overrate their cells. anyways, here's the link and the pic of my next bike.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

save the planet... ride a bike!!!

oh... here's a few

more pics & a link

a website dedicated to the street party scene for the person who asked for more pics.
http://fossilfool.com/

one SICK monophonic portable DJ rig
http://crunchgear.com/2006/09/06/mus...rtable-dj-rig/

a trike with a DJ speaker and footage of getting a disturbing the peace arrest!
http://graffitiresearchlab.com/?page_id=44#video

a 4 wheel pedal car with a pair of JL audio subs
[url]http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/printthread.php/Board/gencar/main/256715/type/post[url]

a really ugly DIY system
http://www.togaen.4mg.com/bike/bike.html

a miniature handlebar system
http://www.bicyclestereo.net/

another miniature handlebar system
http://www.marketgateway.net/cgi-bin...S&Cat=consumer

hmmm... i can't attach the trike pic because the file is too big. i'll have to see about reducing it as well as putting my current system back together and shooting it too

thanks a bunch for that handy 41KHz link v-bro! i've been looking all over for 25-50w class D modules to no avail. all i've ever found is 10-15w like one of the 41KHzs, sonic impact & charlize or 180w+ units like UCDs. at least now i know where to find units with more oomph than my sonic impact but that won't eat batteries like crazy
Old 14th May 2007, 06:26 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

oh... i found a way to post the pic of the bike i'm considering here it is
http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...retchTrike.jpg
Old 14th May 2007, 06:45 AM   #3
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Cal has explained how to start a new thread.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...47#post1209747
Please try again, you only need to check the 'Have you searched?' checkbox if your conscience is clear.

/Hugo
Attached Images
File Type: gif search.gif (8.1 KB, 577 views)
Old 15th May 2007, 03:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

welll... there goes 16 minutes of my hour on this library computer! i was writing a reply regarding getting info, tang band drivers and my speaker project and got logged out when i tried to reply and couldn't retrieve the reply by backing up. hey... DIY, stop doing that!

i'll just say that i got parts express' latest flyer and tang band 3"" aluminum cone drivers are on sale for $8.88 compared to $17 something and leave it at that.

i won't get into using them in line arrays in lieu of lowthers again lest i waste the time it took to type this message too.

STOP LOGGING ME OUT!

it happened yesterday too. i had to rewrite the message at home and save it to CD to post it.
Old 15th May 2007, 06:41 AM   #5

In your usercp, under ‘Edit Options’, ‘Login, Cookies & Privacy’, you should turn on the cookies. I believe this will cure your problem.

/Hugo
Old 16th May 2007, 07:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

thank you, but i don't know if i can do that. this is a libray computer with draconian security protocols so i imagine cookies are disabled.

it's so harsh that simply opening a second browser will wipe whatever you're doing in the first one out.
Old 16th May 2007, 07:23 AM   #7

If you loose a message because of a time-out and there is nothing you can do about it, try typing it in a word processor.
Then, use the copy and paste function to get it online.

/Hugo
Old 4th June 2007, 07:08 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

yes, i know how to do that, but of course the thought only ever occurs to me AFTER i lose a document unfortunately. i still do things like i'm at home out of instinct. oh well. if it had been anything SERIOUSLY important, i would have went over it again.

sadly, my current bike is STILL not working because sony is giving me the "your warranty is expired, it sucks to be you" repply about the CD player. the darn thing was acting up long before the warranty expired. i just thought it was CD-Rs causing the issue.

the problem is CLEARLY that it's defective. how could my listening to roughly 1 CD a week when i go get groceries or do laundry over 5 months cause a spindle to grind the base? my $10 durabrand unit took more abuse than that piece of junk sony and still works fine. it just doesn't have skip memory.

i'd been trying to contact sony literally for a coupole months, but i'd only remember the player at night when i'm grocery shopping or doing laundry usually. if i brought the info to the library, i'd forget it before leaving and i don't think this small town even has a repair shop.

i refuse to pay more than that piece of hfgouybu cost in repair when sony should be fixing it or replacing it to begin with.

i'm getting no-where with building a bike either as the uppity lowrider bike shops can't be bothered to answer the questions of someone about to plop $550 + shipping on a bike so to heck with them! i'm probably just going to get a "grandpaw" trike and hook that up. i won't deal with ANYONE that has lousy customer service.

anyways, here's another audio bike pic for now until i get something accomplished with my own projects. i'll probably just end up buying a panasonic player and giving evil sony bad PR every chance i get in the short term. it actually looks alot like what i was planning except i was going for a more low key/factory look
http://bikerodnkustom3.homestead.com...orama.2006.jpg

PS... it just got logged out AGAIN, but this time recovered my text by backing up and copying before logging back in. THAT'S where my replies are getting lost. after i logged in, i got a "no thread specified" error message
Old 4th June 2007, 07:11 AM   #9

No need to start bashing everything and everyone; very bad for the health.

Nice bike BTW.

/Hugo
Old 7th June 2007, 05:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

i beg to differ. if some big corporation sells me a DEFECTIVE piece of equipment that finally decides to totally break just AFTER the warranty expires and thumb their nose at me, i MUST get satisfation.

doing nothing and letting them get away with it is bad for one's health.

sorry, where i come from, there's consequences for wrongdoing.

besides, i'm quite convinced the piece of junk was DESIGNED to break asap anyways. their designers decided to put the battery compartment inside the player and all the way in the back where one has to put strain on the lid EVERY time one is removing batteries. one's knuckle will have to bend it back until one can get enough leverage to remove the battery. i cringed every time i had to remove a battery and feel the strain on the lid's plastic hinges.

i'm ALSO still holding a grudge from a sony technician DELIBERATELY breaking a cassette with test tones showing that my $700 portable cassette recorder (still under 5 year warranty) because i got sick and tired of sending it, waiting 2-3 months, getting it back unrepaired and repeating 3-4 times uuntil the warranty DID expire.

sony sucks rotten eggs. i bought a boombox from them (which sears lost, but made more than good on with store credit... great customer service sears!) that had an annoying mechanical buzz right out of the box.

oh no... sony has become a mortal enemy now with this latest nose thumbing incident. i will attack them every chance i get for all of the trouble they've caused me and believe it, they've hurt me more than i have them, but at least i'm doing SOMETHING.

Hide this!Advertise here!