What part of DIY do you HATE?
The struggle with two nearly-born amps (if I'm lucky:) lead me to this question: What part of diy-ing do you dislike? If you love it all, feel free to build me a few amps, it's your pleasure!
Here's some of the things that annoy me:
- sanding the chassis untill it's showable (I use wooden chassisses)
- forgetting to order an essential component = wait another three weeks
- searching ad infinitum for a little spot in the too tiny chassis to mount a certain component (e.g. resistors to reduce heater voltage; heater trafo's)
- Getting the heater supply at the right voltage (this actually took me two afternoons with some additional problems....)
- The fear that one of the power trafo's will be badly connected and burnt to oblivion (I used to test old trafo's without using a fuse, hence my experience with and paranoia for smoking trafo's....)
- The fear that the amp will sound much worse than it did in the breadboarded version......
- The fear that things will fall apart....
But ofcourse that's all forgotten afterwards.... :o
Thank you dear diy-shrink, I feel better now. Let's sling some solder!
I hate modding stuff and then doubting my own ears. Do I really have to undo my mods again to check that they made a positive difference?
Enjoying building low voltage valve circuits (12 - 24) but being too fearful/inexperienced to try the HT stuff? :rolleyes:
Using silver wire in my projects 'just in case' it actually is the best!
Actually, I feel better now :)
Thank you Dr. DIY
#1 Steel chassis' (is that how you make it plural?)
#2 Aluminum chassis'
Chassis work. Yecch. If it weren't for my dislike of sheet metal work without the right equipment, I'd get a lot more stuff built.
Never being certain a project is the best sounding implementation.
Having to whine, beg, and plead with my wife for some undisturbed time in the workshop.
Try pulling a week without a shower or shave... that can usually free up some time.
Right now, I'm interested in more projects, but I keep getting outbid!
I'd also like to sell a few of my amps to fund other projects, but am worried that they won't bring in enough to pay for the parts.
The latest idea was to sell my Sleeper Amp on Ebay to see if people are interested in low-watt amps that look like radios.
But, I can't possibly part with it, especially now that I've got it sounding so good!
In the beginning it's making a hole for AC socket (terrible noise!)
In the end it's listening to that squeal when everything's finished (terrible noise!)
I hate . . .
Build a copy of this fabulous monobloc (I know it is fabulous because I've built it myself !) to enjoy for stereo :mad:
NEVER BUILD A MONOBLOC AGAIN :att'n:
|All times are GMT. The time now is 01:08 AM.|
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2016 diyAudio