What part of DIY do you HATE? - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2007, 02:59 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

I can't stand having a lot of stuff with a lot of potential... but nothing is completed:

Good speakers, bad cabinets.

Everything hums

Half done chassis, with stuff hanging out everywhere.

A pile of random electrical components that you've salvaged, but have no use for, and can't bring yourself to toss.

Unsoldering anything.

Tools that costs more than all the parts for a project.

The best of all: ending up using cheap $20 computer speakers and mp3 player because it tucks away nicely in the living room.
Old 16th May 2007, 03:15 PM   #82
gary f is offline gary f  Canada
diyAudio Member

I hated when:

I had finished my first tube amp since 4-5 weeks, and it was working great. Then, the amp died a few hours before my good audio friend was in town to give it a listen.
Old 16th May 2007, 04:42 PM   #83
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Then, the amp died a few hours before my good audio friend was in town to give it a listen.
It could have been worse, a dead amp can still be fixed....

Simon
Old 17th May 2007, 12:49 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Who knows, maybe the Lord has a soft spot for those with true regret.
Best of luck to you,

Regards -- Simon
Old 17th May 2007, 04:25 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

I'm annoyed when collectors bid outlandish prices on ebay for parts I covet for a project. It creates a whole new value system when a part is worth more as a "collectors item" than it is worth for the purpose it was designed for.

On the other hand, I suppose I'd be equally annoyed if I was a collector of, for example, .01mf Sprague caps manufactured between 14 Jan 1935 and 23 Jun 1951 and saw some diy nut buying one to fix or build something. Go figure!
Old 18th May 2007, 12:31 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

I hate it when I have to convince myself my system sounds good and imperfections are due to bad recordings, cd-player imperfections etcetera..... Luckily I think I've just hit the jackpot (new amp caps are smoothing out and tweaked tweeter filter that sounds like solid gold) so I can be frank about previous delusions

Simon
Old 18th May 2007, 12:33 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

I hate it when I think all audio problems are finally solved, all sounds great and the next day it sounds like crap

Cross my fingers untill tomorrow but this time (5 hour trial of pure enjoyment and a few beers) I'm quite confident

Simon
Old 23rd May 2007, 11:26 AM   #88
Account Disabled

DIY tube audio, domain of Asperger's freaks, showoff engineers and tedious cheapskates, is doomed to be swept away in a tide of cheap tat from China. Here's why:

Vendors: The first, most important, and most egregious problem with DIY is vendors, the people who sell you the stuff you need to build whatever it is you're hoping to build. Well, that's how they bill themselves, anyway. With some few exceptions, they suck noodles. Dealing with these paragons of ineptitude, sloth and venality, it is entirely possible to go from enthusiastic to despairing without ever passing go. You will be poorer too.

Top of my list goes to a certain Antipodean gentleman working from out of Schaffhausen, Switzerland, who has perfected the art of utterly destroying any enjoyment his victims, sorry, clients, might gain from buying his absurdly overpriced gear.

Then there is the well-known firm in Colorado that, like so many outfits that sell things online, still hasn't figured out what STOCK-KEEPING means. Oddly, this is the very same place in Colorado where a bunch of kids waded into their school with shotguns. I wonder why that is.

Or how about the stoner in Maryland who purports to sell turreted strips and boards who never answers his e-mail? I want what he's smoking.

Voodoo: Some can't get enough, apparently, but normal, mentally balanced people like me are quickly brought to the point of nausea by the flim-flam. Pet hates: Bybees. Vinyl demagnetising devices. Silver anything.

Prices: I think we all understand what the problem here is.
Old 23rd May 2007, 12:55 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

I hate when stuff doesn't work properly and you have to find out what's wrong Right now I have a phono preamp that doesn't amplifie enough in the right channel. Oh yeah, I also hate having to disconnect gear and get it out of my rack. In this case there's a passive preamp included too, so lots of wires to pull out every bloody time...
Old 23rd May 2007, 02:21 PM   #90
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
DIY tube audio, domain of Asperger's freaks, showoff engineers and tedious cheapskates, is doomed to be swept away in a tide of cheap tat from China.
Hmmm, wonder which of these I am...

In any case, I've had some pretty good experiences overall with vendors, but then again, I don't go in for fashion accessories. I suspect that if I wanted handwound capacitors made from celluse derived from The True Cross rather than well-engineered components from major manufacturers, my attitude toward vendors would be different.

Just curious, what did that Antipodean guy do to ruin the enjoyment of diy?

Hide this!Advertise here!