What part of DIY do you HATE? - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2012, 07:23 PM   #221
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Agree, the case work is no fun at all. I'm jealous of those who are good at it.
Oh I agree. I've got two enclosures half done. And, then there's collecting the knobs, switches, jacks, screws, etc. . . all of which involve drilling and soldering combined with some form of headstand manuever. Personally, I've had a lot of ideas for enclosures, but the idea that looked easiest wasn't, due to more than a week of sanding.

Perhaps of there was an enclosures / case work forum, collective effort may resolve several easy ways to make enclosures?
Old 11th November 2012, 03:27 AM   #222
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Planning out point to point wiring inside your head and not being able to conferr with other people online for fear of being laughed at.

Cleaning up my room!!!!! IT NEVER ENDS!!!!

And clip nipper, what the hell is that!? *holds his nipples*

^ understanding new things.
Old 11th November 2012, 04:55 AM   #223
diyAudio Member

Battery ran down on the digital multimeter, didn't want to drive to the store, found some old batteries, and then I went to measure them; but, unfortunately the battery was down on the digital multimeter. . . impasse.

P.S.
Went for the circa 1979 analog multimeter (voltmeter section doesn't consume battery power) and it was reasonably informative about the batteries. I'm glad I kept that old meter. Otherwise the situation would have been ridiculous.
I wonder what the kids do?--keep 2 DMM's and hope the batteries never go down at the same time?
Old 11th November 2012, 05:01 AM   #224
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freax View Post
And clip nipper, what the hell is that!? *holds his nipples*
It wasn't designed for unexpected S&M applications.
The ClipNipper is an (over) voltage activated audio compressor for facilitating clipless replay of highly dynamic music on small scale solid state amplifiers. It also helps amplifiers cope with virtual digital instrument midi applications for music production. See also Volumax. In a pinch, it could be used at a radio station although it doesn't have as many features or as much effect as modern radio station units. It also doesn't make that typical compressor "YAAA!!" sound or any sound of its own. Recently, Elvee published a nicely transparent Tringlophone/JLH version, at post #58 of the ClipNipper thread for headroom management with 11 watt Class A amplifiers. It is also possible to create a preamp version that restrains (overly) loud TV commercials.

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 11th November 2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11th November 2012, 08:14 AM   #225
diyAudio Member

Choosing parts!

I am one of those people who spends months obsessing over what parts to choose for the BOM of the project before any work gets done.

I am looking forward to doing the chasis for the BA-3 I have been planning... making the chasis means its almost done
Old 11th November 2012, 10:48 AM   #226
uDIYguy is offline uDIYguy  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbrigade View Post
I have apart from tube amps also a BIG hobby in corset sewing which helps to occupy ALL space in my workplace ...
Wait... what? :O

I demand pics. If these are corsets for girls.
Old 11th November 2012, 06:05 PM   #227
diyAudio Member

Not having a workshop/workspace. I have about 40x40cm space to put project parts on, which is threatened by the possibility of aquiring a kitchen machine with meat grinder (my ultimatum, I want to make proper sausages if my workshop is to be condemned. There is no real food here in this part of the country, even burgers they manage to make unappealing.), the kitchen table is my workbench IF my amazing wife can take the kids out for the day, which hardly ever happens.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 11th November 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11th November 2012, 06:07 PM   #228
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Cutting myself in the hand while stripping insulation off cables with a really sharp knife.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:18 AM   #229
diyAudio Member

building another amp , not having speakers (sry bad english)
Old 13th November 2012, 07:57 AM   #230
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwritesbac View Post
See also Volumax. In a pinch, it could be used at a radio station although it doesn't have as many features or as much effect as modern radio station units. It also doesn't make that typical compressor "YAAA!!" sound or any sound of its own.
I'm fully interested in acquiring this device and or kit. Will look it up. I want to use it for a HLLY 0.05w TV Transmitter project and for an AM Radio station project.

Hide this!Advertise here!