What part of DIY do you HATE? - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2010, 10:50 AM   #201
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soundbrigade
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerflux View Post
and amplifiers with all active components in perfect order, no shorts, no "opens" but it just won't work (eating fuses).
Or worse, not eating fuses, not giving off electronic smoke, or electronic flashes, no light, no sound, no nothing - just don't work. And of course with random voltages.
Old 5th March 2010, 11:02 AM   #202
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeekerr View Post
How very curious. This is getting OT, but I'm curious as to what your HD radio source is - I take it it's some sort of embedded device? Perhaps it just has a really terribly implemented AAC codec. By rights, "export[ing] AAC to WAV" involves exactly the same process as playing it back - that is to say, decoding AAC to a PCM stream. Whether that stream goes straight to a DAC or wrapped up in a WAV shouldn't matter.
WAV didn't do a thing except store the output of the soft upsampling and dithering. The upsampling and dithering is what removed some of the harmonics, both good and bad.

Later, LAME 3.99 Alpha was used to re-encode the WAV to high bitrate MP3.

Although re-conversion represents a theoretical decrease of quality, stopping the ringing was a mercy.
Old 5th March 2010, 11:03 AM   #203
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbrigade View Post
Or worse, not eating fuses, not giving off electronic smoke, or electronic flashes, no light, no sound, no nothing - just don't work. And of course with random voltages.
Random voltages! OH NO!! Slightly low battery on the digital multimeter = the only time when it will agree to read everything is when it is wrong. lol!
Old 5th March 2010, 11:26 AM   #204
diyAudio Member

- A large chunck of hot solder dripping on my bare feet
- That rare expensive part that I get only one of has gone missing, and the store is closed for christmas
- When I need to drill a 9.5 mm hole, I cant find the 9.5 mm drill bit, but six 10 mm and four 9 mm.
- The best tools I have cant be found, but show up when they are no longer needed.
- You get your best ideas 5 minutes after all stores having the parts you need are closed
Old 6th March 2010, 12:16 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
. . .The best tools I have can't be found, but show up when they are no longer needed.. . .
That's a classic foofighter prank.

One well working solution is to find them something even more interesting to do.
Like when the load leveler goes berserk on only one side of the car, the power antenna won't go down, the trunk won't quit opening, the power seat moves in only every wrong direction, and the radio won't tune in anything but hip hop, I get dressed up, take my raggedy old Cadillac, park it at the Lexus or Mercedes dealer, take a test drive, have some lunch, retrieve the now foofighter-free Cadillac, and. . . nothing goes wrong with it for months. Okay, that's probably mean. lol!

Darn. Yesterday, I was wanting to measure heatsinks to fit my little enclosures. In this case the heatsink would fit on top, with the amp inside it (facing down, hidden from view) and the enclosure contains mostly power supply. No tape measure could be found. Today, I've just now found the brilliant green tape measure located exactly where it is normally kept.
And, I'm gonna drive the Chevy.
Old 7th November 2012, 10:29 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

Default A danger to mankind

I used to work for a now defunct UK Pro Audio company as a service engineer. We used to sell top notch tube audio gear-Manley, Tubetech,etc.
A chap bought a piece of high end pro audio processing gear-he proceeded to replce every piece of point to point wiring with silver wire-convinced it would add some magic fairy dust to his mixes
He totally f*c*ed it up!!! But then had the ordacity to bring it back to us, saying it could not IN ANY WAY be his fault that the unit didnt work, as it continually blew fuses, as he had copied the wiring, EXACTLY as in the circuit. He would not listen to me explaining that he had invalidated his warranty!!!!
A socially, spiritually, mentally, technically (and everything else .."ally) inept ****!!!!
Old 7th November 2012, 10:53 PM   #207
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonusthree View Post
I hate modding stuff and then doubting my own ears. Do I really have to undo my mods again to check that they made a positive difference?
A variation of this: to develop total understanding of what is relevant and what is not, when one's altered, say 20 things on a system then undoing one or some of the mod's in various combinations, to gain that knowledge. Probability theory tells you that this is a nightmare scenario, so at the moment I just chicken out -- bugger it, it's working awright, leave as is!!

Not very scientific, no engineering awards - getting too worn out for this sort of thing ... !

Frank
Old 8th November 2012, 05:33 AM   #208
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvusmusicus View Post
. . .silver. . .
Ah, he might have been looking for the quality of silver solder connections, which is similar to 63/37 electronics solder, and both are nicer than 60/40 plumbing solder.

Somewhere along the way, ordinary solder quality control got transformed (malformed?) into a "silver is better" assumption that doesn't outperform copper. Oops!

To actually use the silver wire, perhaps that tube amp needed some stopper resistors added? SO, maybe he didn't really want the silver wire anyway--maybe he wanted the stoppers?
I don't know.
Personally, I like solid copper wire and 63/37 solder.

I also like gel flux and friendly cats, but not in combination.
Old 8th November 2012, 05:38 AM   #209
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

as long as you get bright sheen finish in soldered joints, that' ok by me...
Old 8th November 2012, 05:44 AM   #210
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Having so many projects but no time to do them all (or any at the moment)!

Tony.

Hide this!Advertise here!