What part of DIY do you HATE? - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2007, 02:01 AM   #111
mobyd is offline mobyd  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I love the metalwork ! (a flypress + a load of tooling makes this possible). The things I hate are :
Disappearing local parts suppliers - they are all becoming outposts of Aussie or further beyond, and nobody holds stock anymore, leading to my packrat mentality and a overcrammed basement.
USPS ditching surface mail (no more Lab12 speakers <sob> for my labsubs).
Weird US ebayers, who don't recognise the existence of the world outside shore to shining shore.
Hong Kong Inventory - I have a fine collection of AL3201 chips with NO SILICON in them.
Vendors who hike the postage or only do expensive freight options (Fedex, UPS etc)
That all the good chips are now coming out in impossibly small packages at the same time as my eyesight is deteriorating.
M
Old 26th May 2007, 11:45 AM   #112
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mobyd
I love the metalwork
Actually so do I - until the drill-bit breaks or the filing has gone skew or the scriber slips and draws a gash across the chassis ..........

Quote:
Disappearing local parts suppliers - they are all becoming outposts of Aussie or further beyond, and nobody holds stock anymore
....now where is that design of mine of a beamer-over of parts.

"Scotty, please beam over that 500W Hammond output transformer to my place in Toodyay, and a few KT88s - careful not to compromise the vacuum..." (How will they beam over a vacuum, I wonder ... something like [VACUUM] .... [/VACUUM]?)

Come now, you innovative types!
Old 26th May 2007, 01:57 PM   #113
beamnet is offline beamnet  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to beamnet
I hate this:

-Making some hefty amp and one channel dissapears, but when you tap it it comes back, checking and resoldering it 100 times, throw it out of a window and ruibuild it 10 times and fire a bazooka at it starting from scratch and then discover your DAC at the other side of your desk has a broken cable.....

-Painstakingly collect and match tubes from very hard to find sources, then sell your surplus and people start to point out thet that tube is for sale at 99c at ebay from adubious seller thet only speaks chinese and then start to say your a rip off.

-Dropping rare NOS tubes

-Not having the tools i want

-Not having any money to buy what you want

-Roommates that keep bugging you they hate the sound of your sine generator when you reach your eureka moment
Old 26th May 2007, 02:06 PM   #114
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GRollins
I don't "hate" any of it, elseways I'd find another hobby. There are things that I find more tedious than others, but I don't hate those parts.
The whole process is endlessly fascinating to me.

Grey

Hmmmmm an S&M fanatic.... you scoundrel
Old 26th May 2007, 04:03 PM   #115
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by beamnet
Dropping rare NOS tubes.
I dropped an E810F. Did it bounce? Did it hell, it shattered.
Old 26th May 2007, 05:50 PM   #116
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States

- Cutting part leads or wires to a certain length only to find out they're just a hair too short.

- Sneezing, or breathing heavy, and blowing surface mount parts off of the work bench.

- Knocking a parts bin and mixing up all the surface mount caps (and resistors) that have no identification labels.

- Having to desolder through hole parts.

- Hooking the power supply up to your amplifier's speaker output and the speaker to the power supply input.

- Reversing the polarity of power supply connections.

- Making a nice wire harness using the same color wiring and wrapping it with electrical tape only to find that you've made incorrect connections.

- Having loose connections on your workbench move around and short out, destroying a project you were just working on.

- Accidentally knocking over the drink on the workbench and drenching your current project in iced tea.

- Looking for a component for hours only to find that it was underneath the work instructions you had placed on your workbench hours earlier.

- Looking for a component for hours only to find that you were sitting on it the whole time.

- Getting all hyped up to build something and the soldering iron's heating element burns out.

Not that any of these have actually happened to me, just saying that I would hate it if they did
Old 26th May 2007, 05:55 PM   #117
beamnet is offline beamnet  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to beamnet
Ow! Just thouhjt of one:

Finding out the hard way that the factory forgot the insulation cap in your metal toggle switch that switches your 800V B+

that one threw me 2 metres across my room.

ow, brother plugging in your amp while you are working on it hurts too! Allmost as much as blowing up caps in your face
Old 26th May 2007, 07:21 PM   #118
bulgin is offline bulgin  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default What part of diy...

Hi

a)Glueing my elbow to the diningroom table
b)Taking the cap off a new tube of superglue and have half the stuff squirt out
c)When my wife lifts up the moved placemats and discovers the holes I burned in her tablecloths
d)When an insect comes touching down on a freshly painted chassis
e)Knocking over a full Coke can on my workbench
f)When my B&D angle grinder (now stolen) ejaculates its removable powercord in a sheet of flame and a bang, setting my overalls alight, hehe* - (only the brass zip remained, rest OK)
*) If any of these are still in use and you cut a lot of metal - metal particles build up inside the switch and short it

I have many more "hates" but will call it a day here.

bulgin
Old 27th May 2007, 02:36 AM   #119
Account Disabled

Default Re: What part of diy...

Quote:
Originally posted by BWRX
- Accidentally knocking over the drink on the workbench and drenching your current project in iced tea.

Quote:
Originally posted by bulgin
e)Knocking over a full Coke can on my workbench
Right, iced tea and Coke. But what were you drinking after all these mishaps?
Old 27th May 2007, 07:30 AM   #120
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom

Default Re: Re: What part of diy...

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Hayes
Right, iced tea and Coke. But what were you drinking after all these mishaps?
All benches should have a bottle of iced champagne handy. As Napoleon said, "In victory you deserve it, in defeat you need it." Alternatively, a 15-year-old malt goes a long way to dulling the pain of a particularly stupid ****-up.

Hide this!Advertise here!