What part of DIY do you HATE?

How very curious. This is getting OT, but I'm curious as to what your HD radio source is - I take it it's some sort of embedded device? Perhaps it just has a really terribly implemented AAC codec. By rights, "export[ing] AAC to WAV" involves exactly the same process as playing it back - that is to say, decoding AAC to a PCM stream. Whether that stream goes straight to a DAC or wrapped up in a WAV shouldn't matter.

WAV didn't do a thing except store the output of the soft upsampling and dithering. The upsampling and dithering is what removed some of the harmonics, both good and bad.

Later, LAME 3.99 Alpha was used to re-encode the WAV to high bitrate MP3.

Although re-conversion represents a theoretical decrease of quality, stopping the ringing was a mercy.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
- A large chunck of hot solder dripping on my bare feet
- That rare expensive part that I get only one of has gone missing, and the store is closed for christmas
- When I need to drill a 9.5 mm hole, I cant find the 9.5 mm drill bit, but six 10 mm and four 9 mm.
- The best tools I have cant be found, but show up when they are no longer needed.
- You get your best ideas 5 minutes after all stores having the parts you need are closed

. . .The best tools I have can't be found, but show up when they are no longer needed.. . .

That's a classic foofighter prank.

One well working solution is to find them something even more interesting to do.
Like when the load leveler goes berserk on only one side of the car, the power antenna won't go down, the trunk won't quit opening, the power seat moves in only every wrong direction, and the radio won't tune in anything but hip hop, I get dressed up, take my raggedy old Cadillac, park it at the Lexus or Mercedes dealer, take a test drive, have some lunch, retrieve the now foofighter-free Cadillac, and. . . nothing goes wrong with it for months. Okay, that's probably mean. lol!

Darn. Yesterday, I was wanting to measure heatsinks to fit my little enclosures. In this case the heatsink would fit on top, with the amp inside it (facing down, hidden from view) and the enclosure contains mostly power supply. No tape measure could be found. Today, I've just now found the brilliant green tape measure located exactly where it is normally kept.
And, I'm gonna drive the Chevy.

A danger to mankind

I used to work for a now defunct UK Pro Audio company as a service engineer. We used to sell top notch tube audio gear-Manley, Tubetech,etc.
A chap bought a piece of high end pro audio processing gear-he proceeded to replce every piece of point to point wiring with silver wire-convinced it would add some magic fairy dust to his mixes
He totally f*c*ed it up!!! But then had the ordacity to bring it back to us, saying it could not IN ANY WAY be his fault that the unit didnt work, as it continually blew fuses, as he had copied the wiring, EXACTLY as in the circuit. He would not listen to me explaining that he had invalidated his warranty!!!!
A socially, spiritually, mentally, technically (and everything else .."ally) inept ****!!!!

I hate modding stuff and then doubting my own ears. Do I really have to undo my mods again to check that they made a positive difference?
A variation of this: to develop total understanding of what is relevant and what is not, when one's altered, say 20 things on a system then undoing one or some of the mod's in various combinations, to gain that knowledge. Probability theory tells you that this is a nightmare scenario, so at the moment I just chicken out -- bugger it, it's working awright, leave as is!!

Not very scientific, no engineering awards - getting too worn out for this sort of thing ... !

Frank

. . .silver. . .
Ah, he might have been looking for the quality of silver solder connections, which is similar to 63/37 electronics solder, and both are nicer than 60/40 plumbing solder.

Somewhere along the way, ordinary solder quality control got transformed (malformed?) into a "silver is better" assumption that doesn't outperform copper. Oops!

To actually use the silver wire, perhaps that tube amp needed some stopper resistors added? SO, maybe he didn't really want the silver wire anyway--maybe he wanted the stoppers?
I don't know.
Personally, I like solid copper wire and 63/37 solder.

I also like gel flux and friendly cats, but not in combination. :)

Things I hate... hmmm...

1) Doing the perfectly clean soldering on an RCA plug only to realize that I forgot to pass the end cap through the wire first.
2) Burning the white insulation the second time and making a big ugly solder blob.
3) Doing the same thing on the second cable....
4) Applying the voltage on the new project after triple checking everything, only to send the caps to component heaven through a fountain of electrolyte because of mixing the common with V- wires...
5) Deciding to go slightly higher on voltage, only to realize that the filter caps are half a volt lower than the new expected one...
6) Having to wake 3 hours earlier to go to the local wood warehouse because they do not open in the evenings and on Saturdays.
7) Having to buy everything from abroad because local suppliers are a joke.
8) Seeing stuff for sale that are actually not stocked... And you learn about it only after submitting the order and waiting a month...
9) Not ever throwing anything away in case you need it.
10) Not having enough space for all the projects.
11) Not having enough time to finish all projects.
12) Losing interest after a while and starting something new

That's a good one. I can barely move around in my room any longer because of all projects taking place in there. Speaker panels everywhere, drivers, PCB, boxes, tools and everything else in my little 16sqm room where I live :S
I have apart from tube amps also a BIG hobby in corset sewing which helps to occupy ALL space in my workplace ...:mad: