Route 66 USA - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2007, 06:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Route 66 USA

Hi Folks!

Just thought I'd let you know I'm in Cleveland Ohio and that means a visit to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

After my brief visit in Cleveland I will be traveling Route 66 to the west coast. Slow as she goes and I'll be taking it all in and I hope to shoot many photos. I hope I can find more internet connections along the way. I have my trusty old IBM Pentium II 380Z with the "broken" glass. Hard to read my typing but a great chunk of junk to store my travel pictures.

I'm very happy to finally visit the US on my own time and terms.

Now if I could only get a beer here at 2AM.

Cheers,

Shawn.
Old 11th May 2007, 12:03 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Getting your kicks?
Old 11th May 2007, 12:47 PM   #3
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Shawn,

Enjoy the ride. You are doing what most Americans haven't done (me for one but I'd like to do a road trip from east coast to west).

Now about the beer........ No I am not going to give you a lecture... Keep a cooler with ice and beer in the trunk for when you are someplace that doesn't operate 7X24 (most of the area you are traveling through). There will also be some hot and dry areas too so make sure you have enough! As you get to Arizona, you have a couple of amazing choices, Sedona and The Grand Canyon. Hopefully you can have a cold one there too. When you get to Nevada, leave the path, head North for an excursion to Area 51. Maybe you can get chance to meet some aliens and again bring enough beer. You don't really need to bring too much because they get drunk really easy and then they start to mess with ya (you know, play mind tricks, drunk UFO driving and the cops never seem to pull them over). And when you get to California, head south to Bikini beach land, there are many good sights there after a long cold winter in Canada! (Oh yeah and bring beer, you want them to get really drunk unlike the aliens).

Enjoy!

Regards//Keith
Old 11th May 2007, 12:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Getting your kicks?
Gonna give it a try. The alarm clock buzzing in the room next to mine is a little disturbing though. Oh well its time to get moving anyway...

Shawn.
Old 12th May 2007, 02:39 AM   #5
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

I cruised 66 in '76 when I was a youngin'.

I remember a big stretch of desert with endless straight road, yuccas on either side, some really neat eroded stone "sculptural" landmarks.

The most striking memory was of twin dust devils that were probably 1/4-1/2 mile from us and so high you could barely see the tops by looking against the window glass. They almost looked like windblown missile contrails...

Enjoy it
Old 14th May 2007, 02:48 PM   #6
Schaef is offline Schaef  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm just south of C-Town and had no idea 66 went through there! Hope you enjoyed the rock hall, its pretty cool, and may soon be cooler yet as they start work on remodeling it. Enjoy the drive, and I envy you doing that!

My father-in-law leaves in a couple weeks for a bike (the motor kind) trip to Florida, no freeways, taking his time to get there and enjoying the road.
Old 16th May 2007, 05:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KP11520
Hey Shawn,

Enjoy the ride. You are doing what most Americans haven't done (me for one but I'd like to do a road trip from east coast to west).

Now about the beer........ No
Regards//Keith
Damn Keith! You are so right! You can't even drink a beer in most restaurants! It seems alcohol is at the "Bar" or at the Gas Station or Liquer Stores only. They mostly have limited hours of operation. It seems the Canadians are doing pretty well at the drunk and silly game after all. Who knew?

I just checked into a HoJo in Tucumcari, New Mexico! Atlas a single RJ45 jack in the lobby. You see, I've been staying in the old cheapy motels for like $30~40 per night and they sometimes do not have ice so WWW is mostly out of the question.

The camera drivers are not happy with the laptop. I downloaded some fresh ones from Canon's web site and re-installed it but no go. I 'll set up some links when I get back to Toronto.

Most Americans(Large generallization) do not even know what Route 66 is. Yes they have heard of it but they just are not down with it. Truthfully, I think Route 66 fans are a rare bread. I completely confused everyone that I know by taking this trip. They just don't get it. Wait until they see the pictures.

I'm shooting 35mm projection film so when I get back home I will do some shows to entertain all. I will also purchase a special scanner to digitally scan the images too. That way I can get them into photo shop to fix my badness. Perhaps I will not be able to afford that right away?

I'm really sunburned and toasty. I'm traveling in the old 1991 Honda Civic and it has no AC! Big mistake! Perhap I will purchase a sumbrarrow tomorrow?

Cheerio,

Shawn.
Old 16th May 2007, 12:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hey Shawn, (AKA Muchacho Sombrero)

We haven't heard anything in quite a few days so I thought you hooked up with those Aliens and brought way too much beer and probably served it warm (the no ice problem). There was no telling if we would ever hear from you again LOL! But you haven't gone that far yet.

I went to Sedona in 95 and got a nice burn in a couple of hours so the key word is "SPF". Get some sun screen and a sombrero and a cerveza fria (cold beer).

Pentium II laptop, what OS? That might be your problem. Maybe Win98 doesn't work with Canon's drivers. Also, when you get your pictures developed, they can electronically scan every picture onto a CD for you right there at the Photo Shop. That beats having to buy a scanner! And they usuually charge only a couple of extra dollars.

Listen, keep a couple gallons of water in the trunk. Just in case you break down (overheat or whatever) in the desert going through Nevada or Eastern California. It can get wicked hot and without water you can get into bad shape fast! And don't forget the beer and ice! LOL

Unfortunately, "Closing Time" is really early at their bars but as you drive West in the night, sometimes you can see a beautiful "Grapefruit Moon".

Save film for Southern California's beaches. If you know what I mean.........

Look forward to your upcoming presentation of "A DIYer's Drive on Route 66"!

Regards//Keith
Old 20th May 2007, 08:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Great info again Keith!

I did run out of water. My consumption went through the roof, up to 5 liters a day. Also I blew the Radiator in the 91 Honda Civic driving down from Santa Fe.

Still here I am at LAX waiting for my flight home. I managed to keep fixing the car and I made it all the way to Santa Monica. It was a wonderful experience walking in the Pacific ocean water with that beautiful sand between my toes.

I signed the ownership on the car over to a girl that worked in a gas service station. I took the plates and the insurance with me. If she can't get it back on the road she can certainly sell it for parts or wreckage.

My trip racked up around 8000km including side road travels and still I barely caught a glimps of The Mother Road!

This is something I will do again...for certain.

Back with more soon.

Shawn.
Old 21st May 2007, 10:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hey Shawn,

Hopefully you made it home OK and your trip wasn't cut too short. Damn, you didn't make it to the beaches with all that beer. What a shame! LOL

Next time will be better!

Regards//Keith

Hide this!Advertise here!