Correct load impedence

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a newbie so please bear with me here.
I have a Sony surround sound amp. I wanted to improve the quality of sound when listening to music so I built a set of speakers. I have two drivers per enclosure wired in parallel, they are 4 ohm drivers. It occurred to me this makes the load impedance 2 ohms. Should I put a 2 ohm resistor in there to bring the load back up to 4 ohms? Would it be better to wire the drivers in series, or would that not work properly? Thanks.

given the choice of serial connection or parallel+resistor connection :

1. If you do connect in parallel+2 ohm resistor, your resistor will dissipate a lot of power and should be rated accordingly (watts) ,plus you will lose 50% or more power in that resistor. without the resistor the load will be to hard for amp to drive. meaning not good for amplifier life.

2. I agree with Cal Weldon, I also recommend series connection.

Cal Weldon said:
I would try running them in series.

Hartono said:
given the choice of serial connection or parallel+resistor connection :

1. If you do connect in parallel+2 ohm resistor, your resistor will dissipate a lot of power and should be rated accordingly (watts) ,plus you will lose 50% or more power in that resistor. without the resistor the load will be to hard for amp to drive. meaning not good for amplifier life.

2. I agree with Cal Weldon, I also recommend series connection.

Thanks for the replies.
I rewired them from parallel to series and they sound just as good. Now I will worry a lot less about my amp. Thanks again guys.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.