Going to the dogs! How to build ultrasonic anti-barking device?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My neighbor's dogs (on three sides) are driving me nuts! Uncontrolled barking anytime day or night. They think it's normal . . . hey, dogs will be dogs, right? No way!!!

We're talking lost sleep, noise pollution, and depressed property values.

I want to build an industrial-strength ultrasonic anti-barking device. Not like the wimpy plastic things that are sold on the Web, but a real piece of gear that will stand up to the weather, is mains-powered, and will work out to distances of at least 100 feet, but 200 feet would be better.

My understanding it must be capable of working in the 20,000 - 50,000 Hz range (or maybe even a little higher). And of course, must have some sort of bark-detecting circuit, and a amplifier / transducer to emit the ultrasonic frequencies. I don't know what settings are best (and it may vary with the dog), so ideally, there should be controls to tune the device (volume, frequency, duration, etc.).

I'm willing to spend whatever it takes in parts. And I'll pay for some consulting time too if necessary. By the way, I have a fair amount of audio and recording gear, some of which could possibly be re-cycled for this project, but I don't have any experience building electronic circuits. But trust me, I'm very motivated to learn!

Can your tell me how to go about building this project? I would welcome email contact and a phone call. Thanks!

As the owner of two German Shepherds I know what barking is. I think they could hear a squirrel fart from 100 yards away. The cure was to purchase a shock collar. Honest to god all it took was about a dozen good shocks and the barking problem was solved.
I would suggest that a meeting take place between you and the neighbors to discuss the problem. I would suggest the shock collar to them even if you have to buy it yourself.

Going to the dogs

Hi

Proceeding and commissioning your 'industrial strength' anti-barking device will be the quickest way to getting all of the USA's animal activists and bunnyhuggers on your back.

Thirty two years ago, I had just finished having my present home built and could not immediately afford a steel fence for my front garden. I got incensed when the neighbourhood's dogs used my lawns as a toilet.

An old guy built me 4 ultrasonic devices which I mounted under the eaves. They were powered by a low power, 9V wall wart and worked well to keep dogs off my lawn. There was a "bonus" too.

The fence eventually got built but I never took the ultrasonics down as they look a bit like mini CCTV cameras used in surveilance. Very good for bellringing loiterers.

My solution would be to write your neighbour a stern registered letter, promising a court injuntion if he doesn't get his dogs to shutup.

Failing that, you should be able to get analogue or digital recordings of roaring lions or elephants. These should be amplified to true db levels and broadcast through a pair of Altec's set up near the owner's fence.
You could even rig the amplifier or replay device so that it switches on at the first bark. That should shut them up.

bulgin

I have to side with SY here...

I ACTUALLY did this in an effort to deal with the same problem... I used an old BGW amp and 12 piezos tweeters off Ebay. I think I was giving them about 200 - 300 Watts. BTW, I'd be more than happy to forward the tweets for the cost of shipping... they are already wired for 4 Ohm effective...

The dogs wound up barking more... from the far side of their yards.

There are nylon bb's you could get that are non lethal.

I found red pepper in a Super-Soaker to be the most effective. Buy the pepper in the cheapo 1 lb. containers... mix a very light slurry... enjoy with a good chair and a cold drink.

:cool:

It is possible to put enough acoustical energy into an ultrasonic beam that will cause small furry animals to burst into flame based on the heat that is caused when the ultrasonic energy is absorbed in their fur coats. Laser pointer is highly recommended so you know that you have the target illuminated and nothing else. Use with caution. :hot:

Those sonic devices are worthless.

I had a commercially bought one for our Chihuahuas and it stopped them for about a week. After that they just ignored it or ran to a safe distance/angle and continued.

The same with an anti-bark shock collar which I used for our shepherd. He barked a lot and he would bark even though he was getting shocked and clearly he was yelping and then getting shocked for yelping. Eventually I believe he became immune to it and then it did not stop him anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.