Can I use speaker wire for line level? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2007, 08:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to joe carrow
Default Can I use speaker wire for line level?

This seems like a silly, stupid question- and I didn't know how to narrow down a search for it since it uses such common terms.

My friend has a computer on one side of his room with a headphone style output, and a set of speakers about 25 feet away that he wants to send a signal to.

I've been looking for 25 foot extension cables, and other than Amazon it doesn't seems like anybody's really selling anything that long. I happen to have 75 feet of plain 2-conductor cable, 16 gage.

Question: Would there be any major problem if I just soldered some 3.5mm connectors on the ends of 25 or 30 feet of speaker wire?

I'm not looking for extreme fidelity or anything. Most of my searches for DIY interconnects have talked about air dielectrics, and sealing the metal against oxidation. That stuff's not especially helpful in this case, you know? We just want to play some MP3s in a dorm room that could have a better arrangement for sound without re-arranging it.
Old 29th April 2007, 08:09 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I think he has a set of powered speakers that use line level for a signal.

The 2core will work but you need 2 sets for the two channels (stereo?)

You would be better trying to find a twisted pair (telephone cable) or better still screened twisted pair to go around the room. But still two sets.
Old 29th April 2007, 08:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Find a local sound contractor and get some shielded mic line and use that for your line level. You will need two pieces.
Old 29th April 2007, 08:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to joe carrow
Nuts... you're right, I completely spaced and forgot that I would need three conductors. I'll just go to a few different stores on foot and see what anyone has.

Thanks for the help, guys.
Old 29th April 2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Twin screened cable is common as muck, you should not have any need to try speaker cables. On that length of run speaker cable may pick up hum and/or noise/RF quite badly too.
Old 29th April 2007, 09:58 PM   #6
peufeu is online now peufeu  France
diyAudio Member

The cheapest source of audio coax (shielded) I found is the nearest supermarket which sells 10 meter RCA stereo cables for 3. I just cut the RCA plugs off. That's 20m cable for 3.

Hide this!Advertise here!