Can I use speaker wire for line level?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This seems like a silly, stupid question- and I didn't know how to narrow down a search for it since it uses such common terms.

My friend has a computer on one side of his room with a headphone style output, and a set of speakers about 25 feet away that he wants to send a signal to.

I've been looking for 25 foot extension cables, and other than Amazon it doesn't seems like anybody's really selling anything that long. I happen to have 75 feet of plain 2-conductor cable, 16 gage.

Question: Would there be any major problem if I just soldered some 3.5mm connectors on the ends of 25 or 30 feet of speaker wire?

I'm not looking for extreme fidelity or anything. Most of my searches for DIY interconnects have talked about air dielectrics, and sealing the metal against oxidation. That stuff's not especially helpful in this case, you know? We just want to play some MP3s in a dorm room that could have a better arrangement for sound without re-arranging it.

Hi,
I think he has a set of powered speakers that use line level for a signal.

The 2core will work but you need 2 sets for the two channels (stereo?)

You would be better trying to find a twisted pair (telephone cable) or better still screened twisted pair to go around the room. But still two sets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.