How much would you pay for braided cat 5 speaker cables? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2007, 03:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How much would you pay for braided cat 5 speaker cables?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking for a little while.

Even though this is a DIY website, I suspect that some might find constructing braided cat 5 cables to be too time consuming.

With that said, a few questions:

Is there any market for braided cat 5 cables? (Something similar to this - http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html)

Suppose you were looking to purchase a pair of 6 foot cat 5 cables. What would you be willing to pay?

What do you think other, less DIY-oriented, enthusiasts would be willing to pay?

Would a 30 day money back guarantee help convince you to buy them?

What sort of termination would you like to have?

Thanks in advance!
Old 28th April 2007, 09:05 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
a stereo pair of 6feet cables will use about 60feet of CAT5 costing 2 to 4 ($4 to $8). Assuming 4sets of 4pr in each giving 3.1sqmm.
Add on labour cost, terminations and an outer sleeve. $50? $80? who knows?
Old 28th April 2007, 10:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I wouldn`t shell out 2 cents for cat5 speaker cables. Why would I want to when the best speaker cables are available, in custom lengths for a few dimes a foot retail in the form of #14 AWG lamp cord?
Old 28th April 2007, 01:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

fiveliter,

Quote:
Sorry, I wouldn`t shell out 2 cents for cat5 speaker cables. Why would I want to when the best speaker cables are available, in custom lengths for a few dimes a foot retail in the form of #14 AWG lamp cord?
While I personally wouldn't use 14ga lamp cord I also wouldn't use cat 5 either.
Old 28th April 2007, 01:56 PM   #5
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

This is what I would use: http://www.anticables.com/home.html

I bought 40 feet of just the wire and cut it into 4 ten foot pieces. Then I twisted (for each speaker cable) two together 35 times and soldered my own decent quality high value ends on them.

Very reasonable AND deserving of all the hype.

I have used 10AWG stranded with cheap banana plugs and if you have a nice system you can hear the difference (the lamp cord came up way short).

There is a difference but I believe Value is key. When you find quality at a great price it is usually the the highest percentage of improvement (upto 90%) in my opinion. The rest is such diminishing returns to get such subtle difference for so much more money. It's kind of like the amplification law; 10x the watts for 3db louder on the speakers. To go 10 db louder you need 1000x the wattage you are using now.

So, unless you are rich, find the best value that gets you closest to that 100% in the first jump and stay put. Also, do a little research and listening. Hopefully you will hear the difference and agree this is not a figment of my imagination.
Old 28th April 2007, 02:10 PM   #6
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

P.S. I bought the silver solder I used from Chris VenHaus so I did my research. The ends I used are Bayonet (Banana) Plugs (Eichman). Cat 5 is for data in milliwatts. What if you have a 200 watt per channel amp? Then, why not use Cat 5e or Cat 6 if they perform better with Gig Ethernet they must perform better with audio too? But then again maybe only at a very low wattage (milliwatts). Good luck.

Hide this!Advertise here!