Common Ground layout on Eagle - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2007, 01:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to -_nando-_ Send a message via Skype™ to -_nando-_
Question Common Ground layout on Eagle

Hi !!

How do I apply the common ground layout on eagle? I mean, I need to fill the unused pcb areas with cooper, and then I can connect it to the ground.

I already searched here in the forum, but I couldn't find it

Best Regards !
Old 28th April 2007, 07:04 AM   #2
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Click the polygon button, enter the name of you ground signal (eg. GND, AGND or something else) and draw the polygon.

/U.
Old 28th April 2007, 10:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Exactly! Connect de polygon to exactly the same net name as to what you want you want it to be connected in the polygon set up panel (in this case the gound). Same with Ultiboard and Protel.

B.t.w. I am working with Protel. Does anyone know how to set up different clearances for different polygons in Protel? It appears that there is only one clearance setting for all polygons.

Cheers
Old 28th April 2007, 01:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Do you mean clearance between different polygons, or clearance around a certain track cutting through a polygon?
Old 28th April 2007, 01:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

It is for drawing around traces and pads.

I am giving Protel a test drive at the moment and working for week now with it at a serious board. Also found a way to ad vertices to polygons when editing them but there appears to be no way to remove vertices
Old 28th April 2007, 02:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you veeeeeeery much !!! It worked !

And I also have problem with the BUS. I can draw it, but I can't connect it with the wires... My screen is a mess of wires because I can't use the bus I'm talking about the schematic editor

Best Regards !!
Old 28th April 2007, 03:11 PM   #7
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Nando, do you mean you are seeing lots of little yellow lines?

If so, you need to use the routing tool to change them to traces...

it is the redish line icon just above the / anf T icons... use the tool next to it to "erase" errors (change them back to yellow lines...

when you have a component more or less where it should go, click the ratsnest icon... it will reroute the yellow traces to the closest points matching your schematic....makeing it easier to route them....
Old 28th April 2007, 03:18 PM   #8
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

He means he wants to use a bus in the schematic editor but can't for some reason. As a result he has connection wires all over the place.

nando, you should be able to place a bus and connect nets to it. Don't try to connect wires to it use the nets tool for connections.
Old 28th April 2007, 04:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi !

Nordic, please take a look at the picture, and you'll see what I meant with bus.

Also,
I have four VDD Pins, I want to bypass them with 100nF caps, and the caps must be place near the pins. I did this on the schematic, but eagle made very different on the board, it tied all VDDs and then it connected the VDDs to the caps paraleled

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/9823/eaglekg5.png
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/4858/eagle2cc5.png

Thank you very much!

Best Regards
Old 28th April 2007, 05:28 PM   #10
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

>>I have four VDD Pins, I want to bypass them with 100nF caps, and the caps must be place >>near the pins. I did this on the schematic, but eagle made very different on the board, it tied >>all VDDs and then it connected the VDDs to the caps paraleled .

If you rearrange the caps the way you want them to be placed and then click the "ratsnest-tool" then Eagle should redraw the connections between the parts and let you route the traces the way you want.

/U.

Hide this!Advertise here!