"audiophools"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ahahahaha..... very good this one.

Good to think about.... some folks can have self criticism and perceive they are included in that group mentioned..others will blame the next guy...as his Rodhium plug really sounded better.

I hope all forum folks come to read this...there are a lot of friends that can match some characteristics, or behavior, explained in that text..some can be included in some topics there... and others will have a chance to repair themselves, producing some shake into internal head... and i hope no brown fluid leakage will happens to some of them...i hope few.

It is extremelly interesting...those things are the same as religion.people believe and do not make questions about..or answer themselves as "mistery"....there are a lot of people that belief in those special materials...special plugs, cables and big magic.

There are many groups in my place..they have the big magic to extract money from people pockets to save the mankind...maybe to pay the one will save mankind.... and intelligent people goes doing this...it is extremelly interesting how people make self hipnosis... and how some guys can disconnect the brain this way.

The last i heard was that the amplifier must be ruge... strong and non vibrating..as electrons can be disturbed....well.....well... well.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• brain.gif
    brain.gif
    23 KB · Views: 1,121
I never read audio magazines, because I've never come across one that hasn't been staffed by audiophools. Every time i pick one up at the bookstore, I read about how a product is "great for the audiophile on a budget" or something, except it will still cost $1300. some budget product eh? then you get the rest of your "budget" components at similar prices, so when you're done, it's no longer particularly affordable. Of course the manufacturer will also sell an "upgraded" version with Cardas or WBT RCA sockets, or Bybee Quantum Cashsuckers or something stupid like that and charge another $400, which the magazine will say "understandably sounds better". Or worse, they start talking about power cords...:rolleyes:

I think the word “audiophool” should be added to Wikipedia.

Audiophool: Someone who believes in, and vehemently defends, totally unprovable and ridiculous techno-babble all while paying exorbitant prices for nothing more than moderate exclusivity.

Funny article with some good comparisons of the equally idiotic, and also sadly supported, concept of homeopathy. I’ll have to watch for this on James Randi’s website or perhaps even point it out to him and his crew. Fortunately audiophools only hurt their wallets and their integrity where homeopaths may kill themselves or loved ones forgoing knowledge and fact.

The funniest thing is/will be the responses to this from other diyAudio members. Generally, it’s instantly obvious who follows the audiophool way-of-thinking and who is rooted a little more in reality.

Here's an article in a similar vein that I found very entertaining. It's from one of the back issues of The Audio Critic that are now available online. Peter Aczel is rather extreme, but I do agree with many, though not all, of his views. The thing about him is that his extreme objectivist views make for some pretty amusing counterpoint to the mainstream audio press - particularly the online publications that can get pretty wacky. Anyway, the article is in this file, and is called, "The 91st Audio Engineering Society Convention; or, The Invasion of the Credibility Snatchers" on page 36.

mikeks said:

Did you consult that guy? :D

I especially like the statement about abandoned by audiofools shielded by a foil cable with XLR sockets in favor of unshielded pair with phone plugs. :clown:

Enough of technical terms to impress housewives and save their husband's money they tend to spend on audiofoolery. But I am afraid that a single nicely erected hot EL34 is much stronger argument than hundred of such profane articles.

mikeks said:

AH SO!

The "standard" vacuous response of a die-hard subjectivist. :D

Your troll-fu is weak today mikeks, and it's obvious from the thread's title troll was the intent, but I'll bite. I do find it amusing so many of the realist/scientific replies here, as the title, have been ad hominems and essentially anti-science. Anyone care to focus on the article's content, or is this going to be another pseudo-science strut? Just want to know the rules going in.

mikeks said:
HEEEELLLLLLLL NO!

Assuming this response was directed at my assertion that everyone is a die-hard subjectivist, I'll expand my thought.

Whether you're choosing by listening, looking at cosmetics, reading glossy mags, reviewing measurements or any other thing you can think of, the fact is that YOU are involved in the choosing and that is automatically subject to your own ideas, knowledge and most importantly BIASES. It's subjective! One can be influenced just as much by the look of the measurements as they can by a thick faceplate or a glossy ad or a novel length magazine review.

The most "die-hard" of subjectivists are the ones who think they aren't subjectivists!

EDIT: I'll add that I look on many wild claims with as much contempt as anyone, but I'm not fooling myself that this somehow makes me objective.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
rdf said:

Anyone care to focus on the article's content, or is this going to be another pseudo-science strut? Just want to know the rules going in.

Seems to me the article is mocking consumers who buy the products mentioned. If I could get $3800.00 for a 1 metre "interconnect" I'd be making them night and day, and would not waste my time feeling sorry for the guy who thinks it"s superior. There are such extremes in everything though, not just audio.

MJL21193 said:
Seems to me the article is mocking consumers who buy the products mentioned. If I could get $3800.00 for a 1 metre "interconnect" ....

I completely agree. It was done however using anecdotes, factual inaccuracies, and cherry picking extremes to represent common practice (how many $3800 interconnect owners do you know?), and in general purported to represent a point of view 'rooted a little more in reality' in an embarrassingly unscientific manner. It was hypocritical. On that point, little I saw in his bio gives him the right to weigh in on these matters so authoritatively, so why is it being accepted at face value? On agreement with its sentiments? Science is a method guys, not a popularity contest.

Who here, for example, really believes 'audiophools' use RCA instead of XLR for subjective reasons or plating? RCA connector use is based in historical precedent and the irony is it's typically very high end gear which includes a balanced option, usually mocked as overkill and unnecessary 'audiophoolery' in the home. Damned, do or don't if you're on the wrong side of the argument apparently. And what would Mr. Emmerson think of the very common silver - yes, SILVER! - plated XLRs littering studios around the world? He'ld no doubt drop dead at discovering the number of professional studios full of 'audiophool' cable, amplifiers, and speakers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
rdf said:

Who here, for example, really believes 'audiophools' use RCA instead of XLR for subjective reasons or plating? RCA connector use is based in historical precedent

XLR is the professional standard. RCA is the HiFi standard, it's on practically every component ever made. Audiophiles like to mix and match components to achieve the golden sound. As far as gold plating goes, it's not very expensive, and it's very practical - it stops corrosion. I have lots of different cables with gold plated banana jacks, RCA jacks, mini jacks, etc.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
A lot of the audiophile gear is iceing on the cake, the chrome plating on the hot rods engine. It's just for show and bragging rights. If I had buckets of money to throw around, I'd buy a few of the oxygen free this or the rhodium plated that or the $8000.00 power conditioner, or the $1100.00 powercord .
It's when a person believes their system is inferior without these things, that's sad.

I once did a stint behind the counter at a camera store. The most important sales advice I got from my boss was "Son, collecting camera equipment is a perfectly acceptable hobby, just don't confuse it with photography!"
I sold a lot of supplies and equipment to both types of hobbyists and became convinced that both groups got what they wanted for their time and money spent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.