"audiophools"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
mach1 said:

Please keep it civil. Sorry if I challenged your belief system.

pm

Is that all there is to it, Is it just a matter of 'belief'? Is nobody anymore interested in finding out how much their belief matches the real world out there?

If NASA's engineers use certain procedures and mathematical frameworks to work out when to ignite the shuttle engine to land it safely, is that just a matter of 'belief'?

If two people come to different conclusions as to whether two amps sound different or not, is that just a matter of 'belief'?

I say NO! Some things match reality to a large extend, some don't. If you subcribe to a 'belief', you implicitly say that you don't give a hoot anyway.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
SY said:
Jan, the other half of that is the willingness to accept what your experiments tell you.

Yes, agreed. Experiments. If they are done the Scientific Way. Meaning that you double check, double blind, try to find the weak spots in your own reasoning and clear them up. Etc.

An 'experiment' is not buying an expensive cap, plugging it in, turning on the system and shouting, hey that sounds great!

Jan

I'm far away from my field on this comment, but would also suggest learning to experiment with your mind. I don't mean drugs, but learning to recognize your biases and even change them to some extent- play devil's advocate. Suppress what you think you know. Take up a contrary position. Believe it. I'm still messing with the different conductors because if there's a chance of some missed property, I want to find it. An additional note on that ongoing test- when I thought I heard a difference, it was with the headphones connected directly to the amp outputs. Signals were at very low levels and SN ratio was probably pretty lousy. I added an output pad (1 ohm and 25 ohms) and got the levels up to something more reasonable. No detectable difference at that point. The differences I thought I heard between interconnects went away as well. My guess is that the lower resistance silver improved the grounding or otherwise reduced or changed the character of the noise a bit, and I reacted by thinking the music improved. Confirming that sort of thing by measurement becomes problematic- I can easily measure SN ratio, but I've no idea how the brain reacts to it. Thoughts?

The comment on mics is interesting because it suggests listener fatigue or some similar thing. I have to believe there are real differences between mics. I only have a Shure dynamic vocal mic, and an import large diaphragm condenser mic, but they seem very different in response. My test is ongoing for just that reason. Maybe I'll hear something I missed if I'm more relaxed. FWIW, some of my favorite test tracks are Joan Baez Diamonds and Rust from the UK import CD, or a transfer of same I made from vinyl. The opening notes have a squeak that should be just right, not to mention her voice, and there are some quiet and low frequency drums I find telling. Also, Pachelbel from an Archive CD (Reinhard Goebel) is more complex and tells me a bit. FWIW.

As for silver-plated XLR connectors, silver is the budget alternative. Gold-plated XLRs cost more. It's only in "high-end" audio an oxidation prune material is considered the better material. And people wonder why I consider "high-end" audio a racket!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Oddly enough, silver oxide is a relatively good conductor (the only metal oxide that is) which is why you see it so widely used in microwave connectors and in precision rotary switches amongst others.

Silver has lower resistance per unit area than gold regardless of what it is in contact with.

Silver oxide does look pretty nasty. I have cleaned up surplus connectors and switches by dipping in one of several commercially available silver cleaners like tarnex with surprisingly ok results. (Just make sure to read the label and check that it won't attack or react violently with other materials present in the item to be dipped.)

Originally posted by phn "Skin effect" (i.e. self-inductance), solid-core, OFC (first used in pro audio), etc. are snake oil in that they have no scientific foundation whatsoever. While self-inductance is real, the level of self-inductance in a cable is too low to matter.

Skin effect causes one thing. It causes the current density to head towards the outer surface. This raises the resistance of the conductor, and it lowers the internal (or self) inductance of the wire.

The internal inductance of a round conductor is 15 nH per foot, this asymptotically reduces to zero at infinite frequency.
Originally posted by phn

Many years ago, I remember reading an article in HFNRR on signal propagation in cables authored by Malcolm Hawkesford (i think - can't be sure). In it the author offered a mathematical proof that high frequency signal propagation (at frequencies that could negatively impact music reproduction) is indeed impacted by skin effect at the diameters commonly used in signal cables. The inference was that small diameters (in the order of 0.25mm dia) offer plausibly superior hf characteristics to those in the order of 1 - 1.25mm dia.

Hawksford used the skin depth approximation formula. He applied it outside the accurate realm for that approximation equation.

If you read the article closely, he also substituted steel magnetic wire for copper when he took the scope photo's..(this on page 63, five lines down from the heading "Theory vs Measurement"). He ignored the internal inductance increase caused by the use of a magnetic wire..I was informed that the steel relative permeability was 100, giving 1.5 uH per foot inductance that was unaccounted for in the math..

Hmmmm.

Cheers, John

Conrad Hoffman said:
..................... No idea if RCA connectors that are externally plated all have gold plated inner contacts, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them cheap out. ................

The ones fitted as standard on Marantz cd63 are NOT plated on the inner contact. Replacing with 'proper' phonos does make a difference.

Andy

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
jneutron said:
[snip]The internal inductance of a round conductor is 15 nH per foot, this asymptotically reduces to zero at infinite frequency.[snip]Cheers, John

Hi John,

Do I read that correct? When freq goes up, the inductance goes down due to skip effect? Does that mean that impedance stays constant, or did I misread that?

Jan Didden

BudP said:
Sy,

"edit: I believe that the table is derived using an incorrect formula, the one for skin depth for a planar conductor with no other conductors nearby."

That would be a very interesting point to pursue. The table, as presented, is the de-facto standard used in the transformer industry, for designing high frequency switch mode power transformers. I would be very interested in any additional input.

I posted the chart in an attempt to take "skin effect" completely off of the table, in conductor discussions.

Bud

Sy is correct, the skin effect approximation formula is accurate for planar TEM waves that are normal to an infinite planar surface.

The approximation falls apart rapidly as the calculated skin depth approaches about 5 times a conductor's radius.

Cheers, John

janneman said:

Hi John,

Do I read that correct? When freq goes up, the inductance goes down due to skip effect? Does that mean that impedance stays constant, or did I misread that?

Jan Didden

Yes, when the frequency goes up, the inductance drops. But it can only drop 15 nH per foot..

If you go through the math, you find that a cylinder of conductor which is carrying current, has no internal magnetic field. A coaxial outer conductor really has no internal inductance to speak of. And, as the frequency goes up, eventually all the current will be on the surface (sic) of the wire, with no internal magnetic field, hence no inductance.

By impedance, you mean the resistance of the conductor? That goes up with frequency.

Cheers, John

PS...my avatar is a depiction of the magnetic field intensity of a dual coax cable formed with an inner braid and an outer braid. Two things of interest, first note there is no magnetic field inside the inner braid, nor outside the outer braid, only between.

The outer field is cancelled by virtue of the summation of the external fields of both braids, where they oppose each other and therefore cancel. Between the two, there is the standard 1/r falloff of intensity typical of all round conductors. Between the two, the field is entirely due to the inner conductor's current.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
jneutron said:
[snip]By impedance, you mean the resistance of the conductor? That goes up with frequency.

Cheers, John

Yeah, that's what I thought. Impedance goes up with freq because impedance (disregarding R for the moment) is wL. But I thought you said L was going down. I'm not an hf guy and I'm not sure I understand the significance of 'no internal inductance'. Does that make any difference for the inductance we measure on the wire?

Jan Didden

janneman said:

Yeah, that's what I thought. Impedance goes up with freq because impedance (disregarding R for the moment) is wL. But I thought you said L was going down. I'm not an hf guy and I'm not sure I understand the significance of 'no internal inductance'.

Jan Didden

Ah, sorry for the confusion.

First, a definition. Inductance.

Inductance is the relationship between the current within a system and the amount of energy that is stored in the system in the magnetic field.

E = 1/2 L I2

or, L = 2E/I2

For a solid wire....one foot long, it will have an internal inductance of 15 nH at frequencies where skin effect does not have a significant effect. The magnetic field in a solid round conductor is zero at the center, and increases linearly as you go to the surface of the wire..this a consequence of the circular integral around a constant current density...outside the wire, the field will drop as 1/r, this time a consequence of integration about a constant total current but increasingly large area.

janneman said:

Does that make any difference for the inductance we measure on the wire?

Yes. As you increase the test frequency for an inductance measurement, you will see that the inductance reading is dropping. For a zip run as an example, inductance at a Mhz or so will be about 30 nanohenries per foot lower than at 100 hz.

Cheers, John

ps..@sy

was on vaca...had a glass of pino noir...ok, doin good..

Second glass.....ARRRGGHGHGHHGH!!! Yuck...

Bad cork...ewwww, never had that before...

Where wuz ya when I'z needed ya?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
jneutron said:

Ah, sorry for the confusion.

First, a definition. Inductance.

Inductance is the relationship between the current within a system and the amount of energy that is stored in the system in the magnetic field.

E = 1/2 L I2

or, L = 2E/I2

For a solid wire....one foot long, it will have an internal inductance of 15 nH at frequencies where skin effect does not have a significant effect. The magnetic field in a solid round conductor is zero at the center, and increases linearly as you go to the surface of the wire..this a consequence of the circular integral around a constant current density...outside the wire, the field will drop as 1/r, this time a consequence of integration about a constant total current but increasingly large area.

Yes. As you increase the test frequency for an inductance measurement, you will see that the inductance reading is dropping. For a zip run as an example, inductance at a Mhz or so will be about 30 nanohenries per foot lower than at 100 hz.

Cheers, John

ps..@sy

was on vaca...had a glass of pino noir...ok, doin good..

Second glass.....ARRRGGHGHGHHGH!!! Yuck...

Bad cork...ewwww, never had that before...

Where wuz ya when I'z needed ya?

OK, so, as the current moves to the outside of the wire with freq, the field inside the wires decreases with frequency and thus the 'internal' inductance goes to zero at infinite freq.

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.