"audiophools" - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2007, 05:22 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman
OK, so, as the current moves to the outside of the wire with freq, the field inside the wires decreases with frequency and thus the 'internal' inductance goes to zero at infinite freq.
Jan Didden
Yes.

Cheers, John
Old 23rd April 2007, 05:30 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jneutron

Yes.

Cheers, John
Thanks!
Old 23rd April 2007, 06:03 PM   #123
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Yes.

Cheers, John

may or may not be a component of the discussion but it is a model based on observation, as we can only approximate one end of the equation, or in reality - few components of the system. Ie, some aspects of 'wire' with an approximation of DC, but we can't do much other than that. What I mean, is no such thing as an infinite frequency so we can't actually measure that. Just guess. Same for the DC. We hung a name on it, due to repetitive results under specific conditions...but that's still open to question. As well, Not all materials propagate (in all respects) in the same fashion.
Old 23rd April 2007, 06:04 PM   #124
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
Good one. Love the irony of using Wikipedia as an authoritative citation. I meant examples specific to the topic at hand: rigorous scientific experiments on the sound, or lack, of passive components.
Old 23rd April 2007, 06:04 PM   #125
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Well, by that standard, there's no such thing as DC without infinite time.
Old 23rd April 2007, 06:45 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
may or may not be a component of the discussion but it is a model based on observation, as we can only approximate one end of the equation, or in reality - few components of the system. Ie, some aspects of 'wire' with an approximation of DC, but we can't do much other than that. What I mean, is no such thing as an infinite frequency so we can't actually measure that. Just guess. Same for the DC. We hung a name on it, due to repetitive results under specific conditions...but that's still open to question. As well, Not all materials propagate (in all respects) in the same fashion.
I'm not quite sure what your point was..

However, the models upon which my understandings are based on work rather well for conductors that have infinite conductivity. The current paths match the model as well as the inductance observations.

Guesses are not part of it. It is easy to measure accurately out to about 10 decimal places with existing off the shelf equipment.

We were not discussing how materials propagate Did you mean how the e-field and m-field propagate in materials?

Cheers, John
Old 23rd April 2007, 06:53 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Sorry John, I came into this discussion late and don't mean to confuse the issue or discussion. Just a note on how rigidly defined parameters and rigidly defined acts of observation will always lead to the same answers. I prefer to mix it up a bit. I've not much more to say at this time, and will not contribute further to this discussion, in order that it may proceed on it's destined course, whatever that may be.
Old 23rd April 2007, 07:22 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
..........If you go through the math, you find that a cylinder of conductor which is carrying current, has no internal magnetic field..........
Oops, incorrect statement. sorry bout that..

A cylindrical shell of current is what I meant..like a copper pipe..

Cheers, John
Old 23rd April 2007, 08:06 PM   #129
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Just a note on how rigidly defined parameters and rigidly defined acts of observation will always lead to the same answers.
Really? So QM is all wrong too?
Old 23rd April 2007, 08:20 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

I would not presume such, Sy. That would be ignorant. You might recall how much I, er, lack in favorable attitude toward ignorance.

Hide this!Advertise here!