UV LED's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm going to use UV Led's (T 1 3/4 size) to light up some UV reactive jewelry.

Do you know of any sources for some kind of clear plastic I can use to protect the eyes from the uv?

I wear glasses and my lens are suppose to have some UV protective coating on them. Is this useless if the intensity of the UV from the leds is stronger?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks for the link! I could not find that much info on the safety of UV Led's other than if the wavelength is longer 390-400nm, it's safer than the shorter wavelength.

Certainly you would not want to stare directly at the UV led, but how safe would UV reflected off a glowing object be? They are in disco's and dark rides(disneyland).

Also, I read that if the UV glow diminishes through a UV filter then it is doing it's job, so that kind of defeats the purpose also.

I'll keep googling to see if I can find anything else.

and there are those Flourescent type black lights people use during halloween. usually used in the dark. how safe could those be.

ALL UV light is dangerous if you are exposed to it long enough. Even the florescent tubes in clubs, them parks, etc.

UVA light is also known as "black light" and, because of its longer wavelength, can penetrate many windows. It also penetrates deeper into the skin than UVB light and is thought to be a prime cause of wrinkles.

Suntan lotion, often referred to as "sun block" or "sunscreen", partly blocks UV and is widely available. Most of these products contain an SPF rating that describes the amount of protection given. This protection, however, applies only to UVB rays responsible for sunburn and not to UVA rays that penetrate more deeply into the skin and may also be responsible for causing cancer and wrinkles.

Hi,

Depends on the wavelength. Backlights emit light on the edge of blue (around 440 nm) and that is relative safe. Some UV leds emit much shorter wavelengths (in the vicinity of 370 nm) and that is really much more dangerous for the eyes.

If it is to protect your eyes, wear good sunglasses like those pilot sunglasses from AO. Not cheap but these block UVA and UVB completely. I myself have the classic OPS True Color® glasses for driving and sunprotection. An investment well worth the money.

;)

The high output "white" LEDs come the closest to the UV spectrum that I know of:
http://hollysolar.com/html/lighting.html ... http://hollysolar.com/html/diy.html

The HollySolar.com folks like DIY types as that is their primary business now = custom and modular lighting with mixed LED sources ... I have always thought that a mix of red, green, yello and the above "white" (really in the higher spectrum of blue) would make for a great POS display for jewelry, watches, etc. (They also have some fixtures and parts for "black light" florescent for water purification from DC power sources.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.