This a good beginner 'scope? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2007, 09:57 PM   #51
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Excellent. Now all you have to do is to learn how to get the most out of it. The great thing about oscilloscopes is that they are such wonderful tools that you keep on learning ways of getting more out of them.
Old 22nd April 2007, 10:08 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RetroAudio
sansbury - an Iwatsu is supposed to be a pretty good scope. When deciding on my first scope I checked out an Iwatsu at a place in Seattle and was impressed with the quality. The salesman (to be taken with a grain of salt of course) mentioned they were very big in Japan and were the Tektronix equivalent. Just operating the controls verified if was high quality.
Old 29th April 2007, 09:04 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

On my bench David and Goliath. Both are excellent scopes, but I have a little preference, despite the SIZE, for the 556 which can display 2 signals out of frequency or phase. You can even display XY on one channel and everything on the other AT THE SAME TIME !
Also excellent to heat up the garage in winter.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tek 556 & 475_720x576.jpg (90.5 KB, 194 views)
Old 29th April 2007, 05:08 PM   #54
kscharf is offline kscharf  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audioquest
On my bench David and Goliath. Both are excellent scopes, but I have a little preference, despite the SIZE, for the 556 which can display 2 signals out of frequency or phase. You can even display XY on one channel and everything on the other AT THE SAME TIME !
Also excellent to heat up the garage in winter.....
Now that's a rare bird. Hope your CRT never goes bad, 'cause the 556 is using a dual beam tube. Thats TWO electron gun assemblies in the same bottle. A rare and expensive tube today!
Old 1st May 2007, 10:07 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

You are absolutely right, but I had the chance to find 2 556's ( vandalized , no tubes and missing parts !!! ) from which I rebuilt one. So I have some spares on hand including a second CRT. These scopes are fun to work with and easy to repair if no essential part broken ( i.e delay line or delay trigger...), they also are very cheap on the second or third hand market , user's manuals can be downloaded free of charge on BAMA and I encourage everyone to put these pieces of electronic art back to service.
Here a pic of the original scope shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tek 556-2_720x576.jpg (82.1 KB, 142 views)
Old 1st May 2007, 10:23 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Here the guts of the beast as I found it. Never ever destroy an old Tek scope !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tek 556-1_720x576.jpg (89.9 KB, 142 views)
Old 1st May 2007, 11:24 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Tektronix made a spectrum analyzer plug in for that series scope --
Old 1st May 2007, 12:10 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj
Tektronix made a spectrum analyzer plug in for that series scope --
I guess something like the 1L... serie, but I never came by one of this plug in. The 1L5 could be interesting for audio measurement. Any experience with this plug in welcome.
Old 1st May 2007, 12:40 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

I love the old Tek scopes and use a 545B for just about everything. IMO, the 1A7A high gain diff plug-in is an essential tool when looking for ground problems, or anything else that's tiny and under a MHz. There is also a diode recovery time plug-in that's useful if you get a lot of surplus house number diodes. I have a couple of the spectrum analyzer plug-ins, and the audio unit is basically useless. You have to run it really slow to get any resolution and the scope doesn't have persistence. I think you are also stuck with a linear sweep. They were expensive for a while, but prices have fallen. Pretty much useless. The RF units are better, but are also complicated and hard to keep properly tuned up. They all tend to be unreliable, with dirty switches (sealed) and fussy calibration. For audio, you're way better off with a cheap or better sound card. I also have an HP selective voltmeter that's identical to their LF spectrum analyzer, but without the CRT. That's much more useful if you connect it to a chart recorder rather than a scope, but still way less useful than a sound card for SA applications.
Old 1st May 2007, 12:57 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Yes the 1A7 or 1A7A are essential to audio measurement and it would be great to fine one for my 556's. These differential amps have an incredible CMRR of 110dB. For audio measurement I use a HP 3581A with a Tek 7834 storage O'scope.

Hide this!Advertise here!