Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2007, 04:10 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcavictim

I also shuffle around here most often with my Tektronix 1740A dual trace delayed timebase (100 MHz?).

Well, brain fart and all. I meant to say 1740A Hewlet Packard scope.

Yes those ceramic terminal strips in the old Tek series scopes and other gear would be great to use in DIY tube gear while you can still get silver bearing lead tin solder. Must think about that for my next tube project. Trouble is most of the gear I own that has `em inside I still use.
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 16th April 2007, 06:23 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Well, the MIT flea was pretty lame--first one of the year and bad weather, I'll probably try going back a little later just to see whether that's typical. Lots of really cheap PC garbage and typical flea market junk, a little bit of interesting stuff around the edges.

I'm watching a couple of eBay options right now, particularly this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0329&rd=1&rd=1

Shipping was quoted to me by the seller at about $30, so about $175 all told. The specs on the scope itself appear to be pretty good, and there is a 5-day return warranty on it, though after $60 in shipping costs that's not a get-out-free card.

I've also found someone near me who has a couple of Tek 465s he bought surplus from an employer a few years ago. He is offering to sell me one for $90, with a no-questions-asked money back if I don't like it and he'd take PayPal if I wanted to do it that way. Even adding in probes and all this would probably net out to $120-$130. I'm waiting to see what the exact model is (A, B, or M) and what sort of condition it looks like.

Given the choice (Newish 20MHz/2-ch "cheap" scope for $175 vs. 465 for ~$130), what would you guys go with?

If I met the fellow to look at the Tek, are there any simple tests I can run without a signal generator on hand to make sure the thing isn't hopeless? I trust that I could get my money back from him if so, but would prefer to avoid waste of time.

EDIT: Also really tempted by this thing, which is stupid since it is the same price effectively as the Instek above and much less capable, but a lot more scope than I have now (none) and so nice and small! (9"x3.5"x11") and I live in a city studio apt. which already has too much crap in it. Portable is really nice for me...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0320&rd=1&rd=1
Old 16th April 2007, 06:27 PM   #23
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The 465 would be my choice; best way to check it is with its own calibrator and a 10x probe. Make sure the square waves look good (you might have to adjust the probe's trimmer) and that they're the right height.
Old 16th April 2007, 07:08 PM   #24
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Go for the 465, but check: Most importantly, look at any signal (the square wave from the built-in calibrator will be fine), make it about one large division high and use the shift control to move it up and down the screen. If the amplitude changes from the top to the bottom of the screen drop the 'scope like a hot potato. Changing amplitude indicates a blown output transistor in the "Y" deflection amplifier, and the hybrid containing that transistor is no longer available, so you're stuffed.
Old 16th April 2007, 08:56 PM   #25
Apex Jr is offline Apex Jr  United States
diyAudio Member

I too am for the 465's

Make sure it has a letter after it, the B would be the best
and even better with a DM too. They came with a multimeter
or a counter attached to the scope..

Also check to see that it does have 2 traces and that the
trace is strong. Touching the BNC connectors with get
a wave and easy to check that way...

Steve @ Apex Jr.
Old 17th April 2007, 11:14 PM   #26
kscharf is offline kscharf  United States
diyAudio Member

The Tek 465 is a nice scope, but it does have one problem ... crt failure.

The lab that maintained the scopes where I once worked kept a stock pile of spare crt's for all the scopes. The 465 - 475 series went through more crt replacements than any of the other models. The older 454's seemed to NEVER throw a crt, maybe they didn't push them as hard brightness wise.

Mind you the scopes saw a LOT of use (and abuse) so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 18th April 2007, 01:04 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nuvistor
Tek 2215 show up on eBay regularly for < $100, 60MHz with delayed trigger, a budget analog scope from the early 80s, works fine for me.
I am glad that your 2215 works well, it obviously hasn't had to take a bounce in an undergrad physics lab. I think that these are best avoided unless you can see it up close and personal.
Old 18th April 2007, 08:32 AM   #28

Default Soft 'n' soggy

Quote:
Originally posted by kscharf
The Tek 465 is a nice scope, but it does have one problem ... crt failure.
How do you notice when the CRT has failed? As I recall, the 465 and 475 had particularly soggy CRTs anyway. My 485 had a nice sharp CRT before the EHT supply went west.
Old 18th April 2007, 11:20 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcavictim

Well, brain fart and all. I meant to say 1740A Hewlet Packard scope.

Yes those ceramic terminal strips in the old Tek series scopes and other gear would be great to use in DIY tube gear while you can still get silver bearing lead tin solder. Must think about that for my next tube project. Trouble is most of the gear I own that has `em inside I still use.
The old Tek scopes still have one thing going for them -- they are much, much quieter than the digital ones which go for a couple thousand bucks -- yes you may only get 25 MHz of bandwidth but it isn't going to send all sorts of digital artifacts all over the room.

Since you're near the boston area you might consider going to the "Flea at MIT" -- every month one of the ham radio clubs has a flea market and you might find a good used Heath, B&K etc. scope for a couple of Jeffersons.
Old 18th April 2007, 01:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj
The old Tek scopes still have one thing going for them -- they are much, much quieter than the digital ones which go for a couple thousand bucks -- yes you may only get 25 MHz of bandwidth but it isn't going to send all sorts of digital artifacts all over the room.
I was recently reminded of this when I used a Tek 2245 that although an analogue 'scope, had a micro-controlled interface (you know the kind, twiddle a wobbly knob and wait for something to happen). There was clock noise on the trace at all times...

Hide this!Advertise here!