Using a coil of Wire and A Voltmeter to Mea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
PHilgeman said:
Would it be possible to measure 60Hz EMF generated by AC power lines with a simple coil and voltemeter set-up?

THanks!

Interesting... you would think that if the field was strong enough that would work. Me thinks you would have to get VERY close to the wire to get anything. Of course, that would be VERY dangerous, but sacrifices made in the name of science advance our knowledge base.;)

PHilgeman

That is how the rest of us do it. You can wrap a number of turns around the end of a pencil to go sniffing with. You will find that transformer's have two strongest radiating sides and emit two distinct peaks in a wave form, though you will need a scope to see them. You will also find that steel chassis have a "creep" zone down each fold in the metal. This creep zone can and will re-radiate the EMF, always right at your low level most sensitive circuit. Some kind of law.

In solution thoughts for your problem, know that EMF is infinite in reach and can only be steered by strongly permeable materials (nickel, mu metal), pushed to one side by impermeable materials (0.060 thick fully annealed CRS), contained within a box or excluded from another box. Otherwise it is everywhere all of the time.

I actually have calibrated coils I use for absolute strength numbers with a VTVM. A digital volt meter will give you some relative numbers and a small coil will allow close in sniffing. The pencil will keep you alive. Use a cheap meter and coated transformer coil wire.

Bud

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.