distortion analyzer recomendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The volt meter portion is great too. It really is like 2 instruments in one.

Download a manual and go through the calibration process.

Post any questions here. Everyone has a lot of experience with this unit. I recently had one's that was having some issues, but got it all calibrated and working great.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for the reply Damon.

Do you (or anyone) happen to know if this type of equipment is easily damaged? Do people try to sell inoperative/damaged equipment on ebay? If so, is that a common problem? Who repairs this type of equipment?

thanks,
Robert

Many here use a good soundcard (like the Scarlett 2i2 at $ 150) and ARTA or similar software for a complete $ 200 solution. Not as good as Nelson's AP's, but very, very close.

Jan

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
:D most of us are diyers here, missing the 2000.

Its about 1500 actually.... not that its a lot more affordable at this price. But compared to other commercial instruments it is a steal. And goes as low as any AP ever made at 1/10th the price.

Sound card-like products are the most Bang for the Dollar though. Also an integrated HW-SW package is the QA400/401 product for a little more than sound cards.

THx-RNmarsh

Don't feel bad Chris, I missed a few things being frugal.

Shibasoku 725B
Panasonic VP7722
R&S UPD Loaded
R&S UPV Loaded

The 725b would have been 500USD, but 400USD or 500USD more in shipping.
Like a dummy I bid on a VP7722 for 500USD when I should have used
buy it now for 700USD. I got outbid some where over 800USD I think.

I did end up with one R&S UPD that works.
Just for a few 100 more I could have had either
of the other two (I think).

Cheers,

It's that magical time of the year again....

another one that got away: LINK
sadly, shipping was even free.

We are all DIYer here, we might as well
just buy this LINK
and just put in in front of your computer monitor.
Who would know?
I mean really just put a 68000 series PC in there
and away we go.
We could even illuminate fish bowls with it.

AND

For those old enough to remember the saying,
"Only her hairdresser knows for sure."
the Politically Correct version,
"Only it's hairdresser knows for sure."

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I understand being frugal. I have a rule on these instruments- max $350. With patience and time I have done well. But I think those opportunities are going away. Too many eyeballs on eBay for example.

In practice the Boonton which is not as low distortion is easier, faster and more useful on the bench

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have a "just in case". I have 3 Tek 7854's. Found them all cheap and figure its easier and cheaper to pull another from storage than fix a broken one.

I also have 2 Radiometer CLT-1's. The rationale is that you can't test a 3 or 4 terminal device with one and I needed to test potentiometers. But that is borderline nuts.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have only a couple spare instruments for mostly ancient instruments that I use on a daily basis. So a pair of HP 339A distortion analyzers. The earlier 331A style and 652A style THD and oscillators I fix up for friends, but I am keeping a 654A and 334A because I really like them. Compared to what I used to use, these were light years ahead (Leader products were both painful and did not perform to listed specifications). I use both a digital and analog scope on my bench because sometimes you need one or the other (eye patterns for example, not good on DSOs). I do have spare parts for some of my equipment, easier and smaller to store.

One Shibasoku would do me fine. They are too expensive to have multiples of for me, and most others I assume. I may be forced to rent a modern solution for a week here and there. I'd have to focus my activities for that week. The rental costs as much as some new instruments. A scary proposition for most of us.

-Chris

Free to a good home....

c488b79e9b0d64d96c5859bf78cb4227.jpg

Both have been requested and I have two standbys in case the first two decline the shipping cost.

Thanks again,

Troy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.