Minimal tools for Audio DIY - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2002, 11:29 AM   #1
diyAudio Moderator

Default Minimal tools for Audio DIY

I folks,

I was thinking we could put together a thead that could be transferred to to Wikki, as a basic guide for what tools you need to get started in this DIY lark, thinking minimalist, rather than the useful tools and techniques thread which is great, but over the top for newbies.

I will kick off the thread with my idea of minimalist tools for Loudspeaker cabinet construction, and I hope other people can contribute for other areas.

Router, with 3/4 and 1/4 inch bits and a 1/2inch roundover,(optional), circle cutting guide and guide bush.
Half a dozen clamps of varying sizes.
Straightedge and square.
Handsaw.
Drill with selection of bits and screwdriver bits.
Mask, ear defenders, and safety glasses.

Total cost, buying budget but reasonable tools, about £100.

With these tools, panels can be cut to size roughly with the handsaw, trimmed to exact size with the router and straightedge. If rebates are required they can also be cut as above. Glueing up can either use clamps or screws.

Holes and rebates for drivers can be cut using the circle cutting jig, using the 1/4 inch bit, ( which must be plunge capable), as can port holes. Square cutouts can be made using offcuts to made a guide template, then using the router guide bush to follow them.

Ok, thats my suggestions, anyone else care to comment?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 29th November 2002, 12:46 PM   #2
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
I have made 1 speaker box, for a subwoofer. It is a 50litre cube with no ports and at teh time the only tools I had were a drill and a jigsaw. I got a friend to cut the wood with a circular saw he had setup outside for cutting firewood, and he planed the edges smooth... I cut the speaker hole with my jigsaw and glued/screwed the box together.. It isn't hifi, but its good enough for me..
Old 29th November 2002, 12:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Skinny

Yes, we can all usually borrow tools, but I set this up to give advice on what you need to buy if you cannot, and need to know minimal amount of tools you need
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 29th November 2002, 01:01 PM   #4
haldor is offline haldor  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi pinkmouse,

To your wood working list I add a table saw with a decent fence and a DIY panel cutting sled. I bought a Makita contractor saw for around $250, but there are other brands that sell for around $125.

For electronics work, my list includes:
- Precision, flush cutting diagonal cutters ($20, don't scrimp on these).
- Small needle nose pliers ($5).
- Wire stripper (kind with individual notches for each wire gauge, not a one size nicks all type ) ($5).
- Tweezers ($2-$3).
- Hemastats ($2, Pakistan copies are fine).
- Dental picks ($2).
- Soldering Station (Hakko 936) ($80)
- Solder remover (braid or sucker) ($3 - $20)
- Flux Pen ($4)
- Dremel tool ($40)
- Dremel drill press ($40)

Test equipment:
- Multimeter ($20 - $100)
- SPL meter ($40 Radio Shack model is fine)
- Used scope off of ebay ($25 to $50)

And most important of all:
- Ears (free)
- Discerning mind (lots of time and effort)

All price estimates are in $US

Phil
Old 29th November 2002, 01:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
You don't really need to have a table saw or even a friend with one . Building supplies stores which sell MDF or plywood, can cut the panels for you without extra charge and with pretty good precision (usually 1mm or less, if you keep an eye on the operator ). In North America, Home Depot is providing this kind of services.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 29th November 2002, 01:08 PM   #6
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
You don't really need to have a table saw or even a friend with one . Building supplies stores which sell MDF or plywood, can cut the panels for you without extra charge and with pretty good precision (usually 1mm or less, if you keep an eye on the operator ). In North America, Home Depot is providing this kind of services.
Ha, yeeeer, thats what I thought when I went to make my box. But where I went had stopped the wood cutting service after too many people had come back complaining the wood was a mm or 2 off.. :P
Old 29th November 2002, 01:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Minimalist Tools

These are the tools I use every day:
<b>For Electronics</b>
Excelite fine diag's, needle nose and grippers.
DVM's
Scope
Weller 12 watt soldering pencil
Weller 125 watt gun
Magnifying glass
Solder wick and solder puller

<b>For cabinet building:</b>
12" Delta contractor saw
2 hp Porter-Cable router
Porter Cable detail sander
Black and Decker electric drill
sabre saw
drill press
clamps and more clamps
glue pot
Old 29th November 2002, 01:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
For metal work, there are 3 stationary tools that will make your life much easier: drill press, band saw and belt sander. When you look around (especially in a second hand tool market), you can get all of them for less than $200. If you have enough space in your work area, it's money well spend.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 29th November 2002, 04:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Hemastats ($2, Pakistan copies are fine).
Haldor-what on earth is a hemestat- is it really that essential?

If you're just building an amp kit, do you really need a dremel and stand?
Quote:
And most important of all:
- Ears (free)
- Discerning mind (lots of time and effort)
Yes

All these suggestions are fine, but what I was really trying to do with this thread was to get people to think laterally, and work out ways of doing things that need the least amount of tools, yet are straightforward for a beginner

Peter- what are the minimal tools you would need to build an amp case if you really thought about it?

Jackinnj, fine but that is about $700 worth of kit- how could you cut it down? As I said in my first post, you can make accurate, true panels for a box with just a square, straightedge and router.

Keep up the suggestions!
Old 29th November 2002, 04:14 PM   #10
jag is offline jag  United States
diyAudio Member

I am a new convert to DIY. These are tools I bought a couple of months back when I started building my Zen4:

Router $60 (and bits - as much as the router itself)
Drill Press $80 (Father's day sale at Sears - actual price $120). Bits extra.
Palm Sander $20
Soldering Station $100

Hide this!Advertise here!