Will I kill my Tek 2213 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2006, 03:53 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva
In a TV line stage you don't even have to touch the circuit with the probe tip, just place it closer to the switching nodes and you will see all the waveforms

A loop antenna made by connecting the ground lead to the tip of the probe also allows to see TV switching waveforms
It might allow you to see they exist, it doesn't allow you to see what they really look like, or measure their amplitude.
Old 15th May 2006, 02:20 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

thank for all your inputs !

And yes, I have already use a scope, but not with such voltage.

Jack Crow : thank for the tip with the 100 m but I dont think I`ll do some diy probe, I dont want to set my a$$ on fire heheh
Old 16th May 2006, 03:17 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

GV,
Ive been 'doing' high power analog electronics now for 27 some odd years.

I don't think Ive ever had a blown out 100Meg ohm resistor.

A rare 10Meg (Oxygen got it.)
A few 1 Meg's (Again oxygen, and mechanical dammage)
A whole pile of 100k's (from computer monitors)

Think about the voltage it takes to get a 1/4 watt of heat in series
with a 100 meg's of ohms.

To quote Mr. Rodgers "Can you say 'flash over'? Sure you can!"

Good luck and be safe
Jack Crow in Kuwait
Old 7th March 2014, 06:25 AM   #14
inOr is offline inOr  United States
diyAudio Member

If the scope will take 400V p-p, and you use a 10x probe on 425V dc, you will be exposing your 'scope to only 42.5 V, won't you? I don't understand the discussion about 100x probes, etc. Am I missing something here?
Old 9th March 2014, 03:18 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

An X10 probe is essentially a 9 meg resistor with a small capacitor across it. At the scope end of the cable a variable cap sets the high frequency attenuation in conjunction with the scope's input capacitance. Low frequency attenuation is accomplished by the scope's 1 megohm input resistance. (There are other RC networks that tweek out parasitics from the cable.)

A scope's input usually has switched attenuators between the input jack and the actual active input amplifier. These attenuators maintain the input resistance and capacitance (and bandwidth) to very tight limits.

When the scope's input coupling is set to AC, the capacitor is inserted between the scope's input jack and the input attenuators. So that capacitor sees all the DC at the probe tip through the 9 megohm resistor. When the scope is set to DC coupling, the scope only sees 1/10th the voltage at the probe tip. When the scope's input coupling is set to GND, the input to the attenuators is grounded but a dummy 1 Meg resistor is connected to the attenuator side of the AC coupling capacitor. This allows the cap to charge or discharge without that voltage spike going to the input circuitry.

The above applies to Tektronix scopes of the general purpose variety with 1 megohm inputs. It does not apply to ultra high bandwidth or sampling input scopes or 50 ohm inputs. For other brands, YMMV.
Old 12th March 2014, 07:24 AM   #16
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

The input cap is rated for 400V DC so with a 1X or 10X probe you should not go past 400V. However this 100MHz 4000V 4KV High Voltage Oscilloscope Clip Probe X100 w Alligator Clip New | eBay is an example of what will work. It has a resistive attenuator inside, before you get to the scope. At $50 its a bargain. The Tek equivalent I have were more like $1K new. I would definatey invest in one for HV work. The older Tek probes were also fine at those voltages but the new ones are probably better and safer. BE SURE TO CONNECT THE GROUND CLIP!!!! or the divider doesn't help and your scope chassis could be at the HV potential.

Hide this!Advertise here!