What's a good beginners Oscilloscope? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2003, 12:47 AM   #31
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Oh no! For $500 you can do much better than that! A used Tek or HP will be far better. FFT is nice, but oscilloscopes don't have much bit depth, so don't expect to be able to use it as a distortion analyser.
Old 22nd July 2003, 01:19 AM   #32
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

For my own edification, what would be considered adequate bit depth. The newest Pico-Tech units claims 16.
Old 22nd July 2003, 01:22 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Meant to add, that's with a 333kS/s sample rate. I'm not that familiar witnh what that implies for scopes used for audio.
Old 22nd July 2003, 01:24 AM   #34

16 bits is great. Trouble is, you also need a good sample rate for an oscilloscope. 20MS/s is adequate, but more is better. Digital only approaches analogue when the sample rate is really high. A 5GS/s oscilloscope makes a pretty good stab at looking like analogue.
Old 22nd July 2003, 01:29 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally posted by sam9
Meant to add, that's with a 333kS/s sample rate. I'm not that familiar with what that implies for scopes used for audio.
It means that if your input signal has anything above half that rate, it will be completely distorted. You now have a bandwidth of 167kHz. You might think that's enough, but it's not nearly enough. You need at least 20MHz.
Old 22nd July 2003, 03:08 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Point taken. Same principle as bit rate in audio recoding - 2x the highest frequency. That definiately would not have identified some osciliation problems I've had.
Old 22nd July 2003, 04:36 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Don't waist you time with pc scope. you loose all of the portabillity and won't have the resolution. A nice Tec 465 can be had on Ebay for $300. I went a little cheaper and got a B&K for $60 (only 20mhz) Works great and came with owner and service manual.

Lots of people talk about 7XXX tecs, but I would thing about size and weight if you don't have a permanent audio workbench like me.
Old 22nd July 2003, 05:56 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

A B&K for about $60-70 is what I've actually got. In terms of benefit/$ it's about the best piece of gear I've got. I had an "oscillation situation"ot long ago that I would not have been aware of (until smoke appeared!) with the limited bandwidth of a PC scope. I was thinking more of augumenting it with affordable FFT capability even of limited to the audio band plus a little more.
Old 22nd July 2003, 08:13 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

For that use, one might be nice to have. Expecially if you also have some toher real time soundcard based speaker testing software on a machine dedicated to stereo stuff. If your talking about miked speaker test (or whole system test) a full duplex sound card can test speakers while ignoring room interaction. And it makes a decent function generator too.
Old 22nd July 2003, 08:22 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

here is a pc based scope to play with
I would still buy a real one....the tek 465b is not a bad scope and can be expanded.

DIRT®
Attached Files
File Type: zip osc251.zip (88.5 KB, 37 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!