Milling machine needs more power! - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2006, 07:50 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

You will want to use the cut V belt for a number of reasons.
Old 9th January 2006, 03:34 PM   #42
Schaef is offline Schaef  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chipco3434
No, those are for hooking up agricultural equipment when you don't know the correct length... you can remove a segment.

You can find cut belts in the yellow pages under Power Transmission or Bearings

Actually, they're also used extensively in woodworking table saws. They're as cowanrg describes, they're supposed to reduce vibration and allow better transfer of power. They reduce vibration due to less memory and stiffness in the belt, I believe.

I would say to do as chipco3434 suggested and start with the V belt, and if that doesn't help things significantly, go with the link belts, as I'm assuming the V belt would be cheaper than order a link belt. (Espeically when ordering through someplace like Rockler) Of course, you could check with where ever you get the V belt and see if they also sell link belts, even if they're not intended for use in milling machines, they might be even cheaper yet!

Oh, and glad to hear you've reduced the problem!
Old 10th January 2006, 12:32 AM   #43
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
Quote:
Originally posted by Schaef

Actually, they're also used extensively in woodworking table saws. They're as cowanrg describes, they're supposed to reduce vibration and allow better transfer of power. They reduce vibration due to less memory and stiffness in the belt, I believe.

I would say to do as chipco3434 suggested and start with the V belt, and if that doesn't help things significantly, go with the link belts, as I'm assuming the V belt would be cheaper than order a link belt. (Espeically when ordering through someplace like Rockler) Of course, you could check with where ever you get the V belt and see if they also sell link belts, even if they're not intended for use in milling machines, they might be even cheaper yet!

Oh, and glad to hear you've reduced the problem!
thats kinda what i was thinking, but i didnt want to say anything. i looked for some cut v-belts, but no luck yet. ive just been trying hardware stores, etc. ill check harder in a week or so.

i have a nice update on my machine. i just realized that my entire shop is on the same outlet. given that i have a few flourescent lights hanging from the ceiling, a stereo, and a few other things, no wonder the machine trips the breaker. its not getting full power.

right next to the shop is a closet. i have some outlets in there that arent used at all. so, i will just run an extension cord from those outlets, and run the machine all by itself. and the cnc controller, power supply and computer will be on their own circuit, separated from the machine. that just might work.
Old 10th January 2006, 01:09 AM   #44
diyAudio Moderator

Well now you're up to full power, do you fancy knocking out a few of these for us?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 10th January 2006, 01:44 AM   #45
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
Well now you're up to full power, do you fancy knocking out a few of these for us?
that case is wimpy compared to the picture i hope to post this week

i am getting my case back from the machinist this week. i didnt do it, but i did all the design and cad drawings though. the sides are 3/4" thick, and every plate is milled to 1/1000". it fits together PERFECTLY.

Hide this!Advertise here!