Exact Model 7030 Function Generator - Info sought

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As part of a scope buy, I have aquired one ancient function generator labeled 'Exact Model 7030 Generator'. The unit is in need of some TLC.......... or a ride to the dump:xeye:

Especially the features for 'DC offset' and 'Symetry' seems to be faulty (severe signal distorsion).

Does anyone have any information on this this unit (Or ancient Exact units in general):

- Age?
- Manuals (User/technical/repair) ??
- Schematic ???
(- Known problems ????)

Any information is much appreciated

Attachments

• excat 7030.jpg
    excat 7030.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 202
Just bought a 7030

Just found this old post, I just bought an Exact 7030 on Ebay, as part of a lot with a Wavetek. The seller claimed to be unsure whether either worked, well long story short the Wavetek worked, but the 7030 did not. Did you ever have sucess with yours?

Old post indeed - had actually forgotten about it.... alias no one has been able to suggest or find any-thing.

Are however still interested in any information anyone may be able to provide any information - so please pass on anything you stumble upon...

(Confession: A have a week spot for the old mechanically well constructed equipment - far from the 80$ plastic ELV function generator I bought as replacement.)

Old post indeed - had actually forgotten about it.... alias no one has been able to suggest or find any-thing.

Are however still interested in any information anyone may be able to provide any information - so please pass on anything you stumble upon...
The thread just just got older, I have one, I replaced a defective bridge rectifier, a dried out filter cap, and a bad npn transistor in the negative 24V supply.
Now it has an output signal, but only above the 100kHz setting but not below.

So I'm looking for info on the Exact 7030 waveform generator. I will add,
I've looked several times in the last 16 years.
Thanks, Mikek

The thread just just got older,
So I'm looking for info on the Exact 7030 waveform generator. I will add,
I've looked several times in the last 16 years.
Thanks, Mikek

It's been found!!!! I got help on a Newsgroup.
The first thing I found was part 1 of the instruction manual, but with no schematics: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=215235.0;attach=69874 and part 2 of the manual at http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=215235.0;attach=69875 . With schematics and parts list.

Many thanks to Matt Roberds.
Mikek

I worked at Exact during the mid to late 70's and still remember the 7000 series. I now collect Exact function generators (most people ask "WHY?" and have several like yours. What I find often is that one or more tantalum capacitors will be shorted, taking down the power supplies. The connector turrets with red wires will be +12 or +15 (I can't remember which for the 7000 series); the blue will be -12 or -15. If you measure the resistance between the supplies and control ground (which can be jumpered or unjumpered from chassis via the jumper link in the back; also the reason our equipment wasn't UL listed), you will probably find that one or the other is shorted. While there are quite a few decoupling capacitors on the supplies, I remember lots of jumpers where you could lift one and isolate areas of the circuit board in your quest to narrow down the bad capacitor. Or do like me and replace them all with aluminum electrolytics. If my rapidly failing memory serves me correctly, the tantalum capacitors were 6.8 uf 15 vdc. I usually go with Panasonic 10 uf 25 vdc aluminum electrolytic radials, which seem to last forever. Another thing, especially in the case of generaators which have been sitting for many years; get some good electrical contact cleaner and flush out both the push button and rotary switches while operating them. Doing all of the above will take care of the vast majority of problems you are likely to encounter. Good luck! And feel free to contact me directly at mkepp-at-hevanet-dot-com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.