Useful tools and techniques - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2002, 03:25 AM   #101
PedroPO is offline PedroPO  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to PedroPO
Default nerd @work

if you reaaly want to look like a nerd, just get one of these babies.

it really helps (at least me) to look stupid, but also to see alot better. I get my eyes less tired from soldering, especially when doing PCB's.

please don't laugh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_3379a.jpg (85.9 KB, 3750 views)
Old 14th September 2002, 03:27 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

without the geek
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_3617.jpg (29.0 KB, 3466 views)
Old 14th September 2002, 05:07 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
So that's how you managed to finish your SOZ. Can it also be used by a person without glasses?

Please don't laugh, but this is what I'm using to see better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg see1.jpg (38.6 KB, 3465 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 14th September 2002, 11:47 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

well if you don't have glasses you can allways use sunglasses and your frontal light !!!!!!!
Old 10th October 2002, 02:20 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

It seems to be a lot of controversy around proper tapping techniques. People use all sort of different methods and I spend 3 days arguing with another member what is the best way to do this simple task.

So I'm saying once again: cordless drill gun with a clutch is definitely the easiest and fastest way to tap. Trust me, I do it almost every day.

My favourite gun for that purpose is Bosch. It has more finese than Makita and deWalt is good only for heavy construction work. The clutch is set to 5 on a scale of 24. I mount the tap and put some lubricant to the tip. I'm using that lubricant, but any oil is good and I even had good results with WD40.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t1.jpg (35.9 KB, 3713 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 10th October 2002, 02:28 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

For the demonstration purpose I mounted the 1/4" aluminum piece in a vice, but usually I hold it by hand. I'm tapping with 8-32 tap and the hole is 9/64". I run the tap and approx. halfway the clutch engages. I put the drill in reverse, clean the tap and go again. This time it goes through completely. Whole procedure took less than 10 seconds. Don't tell me you can do it faster by hand or Tapmatic. Also using drill gun has this advantage that it's much easier to align the tap straight and holding it that way while tapping (comparing to doing it by hand).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t2.jpg (35.1 KB, 3871 views)
Old 10th October 2002, 02:30 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

I also tapped 4-40 size thread. The hole is 3/32". This time the tap went through in a first run. 2 seconds maximum and it's done. While doing it this way it's impossible to break the tap. The only possibility it may happen is either dull tap or very hard material. Some aluminum alloys are easier to machine than others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t3.jpg (34.1 KB, 3195 views)
Old 10th October 2002, 02:31 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

This is what I'm using when I want to tap the hole to the end but not drill through. Filed off tap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t4.jpg (22.1 KB, 3333 views)
Old 10th October 2002, 02:42 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

There is another issue, how to drill or tap straight when not using drill press. I'm using those drill guides which are very popular in aircraft industry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d1.jpg (32.6 KB, 3493 views)
Old 10th October 2002, 02:43 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

You can make your own out of 2 pieces of aluminum connected with screws and spacers and predrilled on a drill press.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d2.jpg (29.2 KB, 3550 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!