Multimeter recommendations? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2002, 01:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Multimeter recommendations?

Hi folks,

I'm requesting some advice.
After 15 years of no DIY work, I'm back to the trenches. All my equipment is 20 years old so I'll need some updates. The oscilloscope (Hitachi 40 Mhz doble trace) will have to do for now, but my Fluke 77 is in bad shape. I'm looking for a portable with inductance/ capacitance capabilities.
Any suggestions?
Tks ,

Ric
Old 7th June 2002, 02:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
I'd kill for one of those Fluke Scopemeters, but they're just TOO pricy I'm using a Uni-T model 55 digital multimeter right now... it does both DC & AC current and tension up to 20A, resistance up to 100MOhms (!!!!), frequency up to 20khz, capacitance up to 20uF and also temperature, transistor gain and diode testing. There was a model arround that also did inductance and some other nifty things Got it for $50 before the dollar started skyrocketting here and been very happy with it.
Old 7th June 2002, 08:51 PM   #3
haldor is offline haldor  United States
diyAudio Member

I like the Fluke Model 111. This is a 3-1/2 digit true (whatever that means) RMS meter with capacitance and frequency measurements. It's pretty accurate on the cap measurements. I compared it against my SRC LRC bridge meter on a couple of different caps and the Flukes readings were within 0.5%. Nice size too, I can hold it in one hand comfortably. My old Fluke 8020B was just a little too wide for comfort (was just about indestructable though, still working fine when I gave it away after 20 years of troublefree service).

P.S. Take a look at the Pomona Model 6469 SMD Microtip Test Probe Set. These have spring-loaded pogo-pin tips that don't slip off the component leads when you look away. The tips are like tiny tridents and bite slightly into the metal. Way cool, you can wiggle the probe around and the tip doesn't slip. A set of leads cost less than $20 and the tips are replacable.

Pomona also makes scope probes with the same spring loaded tips that are great for making measurements on tight pitched components. I am using some 0.5mm pitch components on my new designs and the probes that came with my Tek scope aren't worth beans for that.

http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/html/whats_new.htm

Phil
Old 8th June 2002, 06:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Golden Oldie

Hi Ricren, I've had a Fluke 77 since they came out, and I have used other meters including Fluke 87 and Jap/Taiwan types.

For L/C/F measurements the cheap asian ones are fine, but nothing has the fast capture / stable display characteristics and ergonomics of the 77 that make these a joy to use in repetetive and servicing useage.
I do not know the sampling characteristics of the more recent models, but they look tempting.
I would fix the 77 anyway, and decide on an extra meter for L/C/F testing.

Regards, Eric.
Old 8th June 2002, 07:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default BK PRECISION

Anybody own a BK? I have found a couple in a local store for really good prices.

BK5360 for $159can ($104usd, $182aus, $110euro)

BK5380 for $199can ($130usd, $227aus, $138euro)

http://www.bkprecision.com/50000.html

Any opinions?

[edit]
P.S. Digikey sells the BK5360 for $390can ($229usd). The catalogue says to call for princing on the BK5380.
Old 8th June 2002, 08:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The local store is:
http://www.future-active.com/

On the website, the bk5360 is $152can ($99usd) and the bk5380 is $198can ($129usd).
Old 8th June 2002, 08:48 PM   #7
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Ricren,
Fluke 77 is fine. Used it at work, no complaints.
My own instrument was a Fluke 85 before i killed to get hand s on a Fluke 123 (i did, Lisandro_p ).
Best choice i could do, it is my most used instrument. Eventually i use my analogue scope, eventually i use a Metrawatt Unigor 6eP analog multimeter if i need an instument with a needle and if i have to measure more parameters at once, i have 3 old Siemens Multizet i bought surplus fr a few bucks.
The Fluke 123 can be bougth with an optical/RC232 interface to shovel data t the PC. Strongly recommeded, this option.
Old 9th June 2002, 03:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
Ahhh Flukes... bench equipment characteristics on a hand sized tool. I dream with those. It will be mine someday....

BTW, no one uses analogic multimeters anymore? I use my dad's regularly, whenever i have to measure something that won't stay still (unfliltered ac, a transient, etc). Digitals are great and very accurate, but most of them aren't fast.
Old 9th June 2002, 08:26 AM   #9
dorkus is offline dorkus  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to dorkus
Unhappy i want a Fluke 123 too

damn you dice45, damn you to hell for brandishing your slick scope-meter around here when most of us are stuck with Radio Shacks and "cheap" Flukes. you suck...

green w/envy,
dorkus

p.s. i'm actually in the market for a Fluke 177 right now. it has all the features/precision i need and is reasonably priced ($180 new, been looking on eBay for a cheaper used one).
Old 9th June 2002, 09:19 AM   #10
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Any suggestions on a really good 10,000+ count digital multimeter for lab work??? Benchtop or portable, Voltage, Current, Resistance, Capacitance, Inductance. PC uplink preferable.

Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!