diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Equipment & Tools (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/)
-   -   oscilloscope recommendations (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/3823-oscilloscope-recommendations.html)

lowfi 30th May 2002 05:25 AM

oscilloscope recommendations

hey all,
i've been buggin you guys for help with my aleph amp and everyone is telling me to get a !*#&(#& scope!!!

i\'ve been looking on Ebay and not sure what i should be looking for as far as specs on scopes and what a fair price is.

can anyone give some recommendations?

much appreciated!!

cheers,
scott

BrianGT 30th May 2002 05:43 AM

The search option might be a good starting place.

Thread on oscilloscopes

Good luck in your search.

The tek 465 was highly recommended in that thread:
ebay listing for the tek 465

--
Brian
gte619j@prism.gatech.edu

paulb 30th May 2002 05:44 AM

I bought a Tek 465 100 MHz scope for I think around $300. I'm very happy with it. They generally come without probes, go to probemaster.com for them.

ThingyNess 30th May 2002 06:40 AM

http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/tek.htm

Try looking at Tom Gootee's site and talking to him - he has many 7600 series mainframes and some nice 465 and 475 scopes for sale.

$199 for a working 465 that's been tested by a proper technician is a pretty good deal - i've heard many stories of people paying *more* than that for one on e-bay, even when it's advertised as "as-is" and have it not be working properly.

hagtech 30th May 2002 06:51 AM

Old Tek scopes

You can do pretty well with the low-end scopes too! No need to invest in a Tek unless you're really serious.

Check out the "20MHz dual channel" scopes on eBay. Brand names such as Leader, B&K, Hameg, Tenma, Kenwood, Hitachi, Protek, etc. will often go for $50. These are typically far more modern than the olf Tek 465 or 7000 series. Of course, they are not as good, either. But will do a decent job for most audio work.

I used my cheap Kenwood for 6 or 7 years before I upgraded to the Tek 7000 stuff. Still works just fine (I use it for XY curve tracer display).

Personally, I find these "analog" scopes far more useful than the PC card digital scopes you get get for cheap.

I'll also repeat a comment from the other thread - the 7A22 plugin for a Tek 7000 mainframe is THE BEST front-end for audio work. Most scopes will go down to 5mV or 1mV per div. The 7A22 will go to 10uV! The 7A13 is also a pretty neat piece.

Good luck!

jackinnj 30th May 2002 09:44 PM

Good cheap scopes for audio

I owned a Tek 5223 at one time (gave it away to a biophysicist) -- these are great instruments for audio/vibration analysis - it has a larger screen than the 7XXX Series, great sensitivity, but relatively low bandwidth. It is primarily used in biomedical applications, industrial (think autos, manufacturing), etc. They usually go for less than $50 complete with plugins and timebase. Mine came out of GM.

dice45 31st May 2002 11:00 PM

If you buy probes for your scope, see that they have atleast 3 times the bandwidth of the scope.

Tek 465 is terrific. So is HP 1741A.
Hameg is terrific for the price, nothing comes close. Be it used or retail.

capslock 3rd June 2002 05:51 PM

Except that people on ebay in Germany will pay more for a second rate Hameg than for a first-rate HP or Tek.

tiroth 3rd June 2002 06:31 PM

Re: Old Tek scopes

Quote:

Originally posted by hagtech
I'll also repeat a comment from the other thread - the 7A22 plugin for a Tek 7000 mainframe is THE BEST front-end for audio work. Most scopes will go down to 5mV or 1mV per div. The 7A22 will go to 10uV! The 7A13 is also a pretty neat piece.

Good luck!

hagtech,

Are all of the 7000 series plugins interoperable? What exactly does it take to build an operational unit...Mainframe, timebase, front end.....?

A link to a site that discusses any of this would be great too. Thanks.

hagtech 3rd June 2002 07:17 PM

parts is parts

Yes, all 7000 plugins go with all 7000 mainframes (with a few exceptions such as the 7A19 built for 7104).

I like the flexibility too. Add a curve tracer plugin, spectrum analyzer, logic analyzer, or even a fast sampler.

You'll need amp & timebase to start. Often full systems are available. I recommend these as they typically cost less than buying same pieces separately. Many dealers pull apart scopes and sell separately for that sole reason.

I just bought a 7603 because it has a very large screen. It'll be my backup for a 7704A (a real workhorse).

jh