Possible to weld metal with small butane torches????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I was wondering if you can do light use welding of like steel and aluminum with these hand held butane torches. They say they can get up to and over 2000*F

Like these little things;

btorch400.jpg

Ya. It can't even weld your fingers, and skin is really weak stuff when it comes to comparisons with metal. ;) Seriously, those POC's have less heat than a candle.

Note that with a burner like THIS, it only gets maybe orange hot (1600-1700øF) in free air, despite the prodigious amount of power output. Putting up some firebricks to hold the heat in can bring that to melt steel but the heat is too diffuse to actually weld a joint or anything.

So. For one you need a temperature higher than the melting point of around 3,000°F. Acetylene and pure oxygen burns upwards of 5,000 degrees, it's very hot stuff. Plasma in the form of a high-current arc has even more, the low end being around 10,000°F. Put 100 amps at about 20V into a space that small and you'll melt anything. :D

Heh. This post looks more like describing how to build something, without giving anywhere near enough details to do so, than just telling you why it won't work. :p S'pose I *am* tired yet... :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :cannotbe: :clown:

Tim

Oh, I was going to add, oxy-acetylene (O/A) can weld steel but oxypropane won't work. I don't know why, I'm not a weldor. Works fine for cutting though. AFAIK, anything with enough concentrated power (arc, O/A, O/P I guess... possibly oxybutane to keep it on topic ;) ) can do aluminum. As I recall, you need special fluxes for gas but arc is done on AC and that has a fluxing effect. Not to mention being under an inert gas.

Tim

Oxy acetylene is too hot for aluminum. You need oxy hydrogen. Or better yet mig. Hobart sells a small mig setup for $650.00. you can also use it for steel up to 3/16" in single pass.

Stick with screws and rivits for aluminum unless you want to spend big bucks and lots of time learning.

You need something oxy. Oxy-MAPP can weld, I believe. O/A obviously can. Oxy-propane can't (it gets hot enough, but I've never heard anyone say they have done it effectively). Any gas and air cannot weld, such as the torch on the page you linked. Solders quite well though.

Which reminds me, you can solder with these torches, and braze (at least with a large one). Is there any reason why you can't use that instead? You can get fluxes for stainless, relatively strong silver-bearing solders, and the heat won't discolor it. Brazing uses lower temperatures than welding while providing nearly the same strength, and you can get a color match.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.