list of heritage oscillospcopes with specs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2002, 08:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default list of heritage oscillospcopes with specs

I am trying to buy a nice analog or a+d oscilloscope through e-bay. Usually, the people selling those things don't know a thing about them but sometimes they are able to put brand and type number in their offer.

Does anybody know good lists of heritage scope specs for Tek, Gould, HP, Hameg, Philips, ....? I have tried a search but was left with thousands of useless hits.

Thanks in advance,

Eric
Old 9th April 2002, 09:10 PM   #2
Banned

Default Oscilloscope

Without a doubt, I would recommend the Tektronix 465 100 MHz Oscilloscope. A rugged industry standard with lots of them on the used market. Mine has appreciated in value since I bought it. An oldie but goody that I would never part with.

H.H.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tek465.jpg (47.4 KB, 716 views)
Old 9th April 2002, 10:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Trust Harry for an answer. I 've been using a 750 MHz Tek digital phosphor oscilloscope from work which is probably better than an anlog scope (unlike the TDS 210/220 junk) but the last reserve unit is being integrated into a permanent setup. I like tek! In my previos job I had a Tek DSO for fast stuff and an incredibly versatile Hameg for analog. Anybody know Hameg outside of Germany?

Greets,

Eric
Old 9th April 2002, 10:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ThingyNess
Harry: any suggestions on where to pick up a Tek 465 for a decent price (and be relatively sure that it will work, which rules out most eBay sellers.)?
Old 9th April 2002, 10:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I can't believe my luck. It seems I got a fully functional HP1707A dual channel 100 MHz scope without probes or documentation for 152 Euros. Apparently, German bidders go for Tek or Hameg, a 60 MHz Hameg selling for typically 250 Euro. The Hameg has an incredible dynamic range and linearity of the y-amp but a 100 MHz HP is at least as good. Wish me luck that everything works out fine!

Eric
Old 9th April 2002, 10:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Gould K-100 D logic analyzer

There is a logic analyzer due in 3 days with burn marks on PCB and transformer and rectifier missing. Nobody has dared place a bid yet, and the minimum bid is ok (but not great) for the risk. Any chance to lay my hands on docs and service manuals for Gould?

I had a super-fast (at the time) Gould DSO in my previous job. Performance was
excellent, but handling was a bear...

Cheers,

Eric
Old 10th April 2002, 12:08 AM   #7
Banned

Wink HP1707A

Oh....Oh... I have heard that the HP 1700 series aren't as good as the Tektronics. There is good reason the TEK465s go for what they do. For other used scope shoppers, there are plenty of companies selling reconditioned used test equipment. A search on the web should find a few. I'm lucky since almost as many people have scopes as have guns here around Dallas. 50 or 60Mhz is good enough for audio and digital audio work.

H.H.
Old 10th April 2002, 01:00 AM   #8
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default HP 1741A

Eric and all,

the Tek 465 is a very good choice, not a cheap one however. I had one and a 468 in use when i was a working student, so i know to appreciate both instruments. as a A buddy of mine bought a 465 and is very happy with it. Me, i found something even better, a HP 1741A. The thing had more than the promised 100MHz of bandwidth, the screen image was atleast as sharp and focused as my buddy's Tek 465 and, well, it is an analogue storage scope.
(Sometimes essential, particularly for a TT designer. I can mount a cheap phono cartridge on a stand and let the stylus touch platter, plinth, tonearm base, whatever and let it record step responses.)

I always loved the Teks, but AFA triggering tricky, noisy signals is concerned, i always preferred the German cheapo brand Hameg. And found my HP to be even better in that respect. In fact, my thing's triggering is the best i have ever experienced with an analogue scope.
So i cannot second the bad rep of HP 1700 series (maybe i had luck atleast once in my life .... getting that particular device).
Old 10th April 2002, 04:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello All, In my search for parts for my HP 180A, I came across this one - http://www.geocities.com/mnowlen/descr.htm

In my experience the 180A with Delayed TB module is an oldie but a bloody goodie - clean, bright, good focus, and excellent triggering.

Mine's recently lost the EHT LOPT - BUGGER ! - Can anybody help ?

Thanks, Eric.
Old 10th April 2002, 08:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Go Mainframe!

I would like to humbly suggest you get a Tek 7000 series mainframe. Why? Because they are beautiful, rugged, and flexible. The only problem is that they are big. My 7704A takes up a lot of bench space. Look for the 7603 for audio work.

But the REAL benefit here is that you can buy a 7A22 plug-in. Oops, maybe I shouldn't have let the secret out. This front-end will kill ANYTHING else out there for audio work. Not only is it differential, but it goes down to 10uV/div. You can see and measure things easily where NO other scope would even have a clue.

I would also suggest the 7A13 for higher bandwidth work.

jh

Hide this!Advertise here!