list of heritage oscillospcopes with specs - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2002, 08:33 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Tek 465B

I have a 465B that I don't need anymore. If anyone is interested
let me know. It is a rack mount uinit but can be taken out if desired. The B series is the one you want.

Sam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tek465.jpg (48.6 KB, 544 views)
Old 15th April 2002, 08:39 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

hagtech,

I also saw your other post on the regulator problem. Shouldn't it be possible to build a decent differential probe with the nice superfast in-amps and diff amps available nowadays?

Another question: any opinion on 7623A mainframe, 7A18 dual trace (?) amps and 7B53A dual time bases?

Greetings,

Eric
Old 15th April 2002, 09:07 PM   #13
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
sdman,

where are you located at, and how much are you looking to get for it?

--
Brian
gte619j@prism.gatech.edu
Old 15th April 2002, 11:58 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default diff probe

Sure, you can roll your own differential probe for specialty applications. I did one for measuring speaker cables (telephone wire post). The issue is how much bandwidth you need. Are you looking at just audio or also the RF interference (regulator post)?

Personally I like the AD830. LT has a similar part.

Not familiar with the 7623. Is that the one with a storage CRT? The 7a18 and 7b53a are fine for audio work. I think they're all good out to 60MHz or so. Most importantly, you can plug in a 7a22.

jh
Old 16th April 2002, 09:52 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Got an old HP 180C with delayed TB and 50MHz amp plugins. Fine for most work with a pair of active probes. Would like to find a 100MHz plugin, but no hurry.

If anyone in need for operating/service manuals, at http://www.cooke-int.com/index1.html they have loads of them (for sale). And second hand scopes also. Bought there and was happy but as always YMMV.
Old 20th April 2002, 09:26 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default help on trigger modes needed

After many fruitless exploits with the parcel service, my HP 1707B from ebay arrived today. Damn, it was supposed to be ok and there are problems. While waiting for the parcel, I let a Tek 475 slip last night.

Anyway, the biggest problem is that in all trigger modes and with all input frequencies the signal looks fine, but overlayed is a signal of the same intensity and amplitude that seems to be mirrored in x-direction (time) and is time stretched by about a factor of four. When I use the vernier (variable x-magnification), the stretching factor becomes bigger, maybe 10). I suspect that this the cathode ray is not switched off when it is returning. Is this diagnosis correct or may I have overlooked a button? Also, the ray seems to sit at the left side of the image for some time before the scan begins, which makes for a very bright spot there. I cannot influence this with the trigger and time base settings, I can just shift it so far to the left that it disappears off the tube.

Also, could somebody explain to me what the trigger holdoff does? It's been a long time since I worked with an analog scope...

Thanks,

Eric
Old 20th April 2002, 08:05 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default CRT

You're probably right about the CRT blanking. There may be an adjustment inside. It sounds like what you are seeing the the retrace. Maybe you can adjust a G2 or "screen" pot, or perhaps there is a failed transistor which drives the blanking. In that case, you'll need to get ahold of a manual.

Holdoff is a one-shot time delay that is used to prevent early re-triggering. Basically, once you get a trigger, this control sets a delay that holds off all other triggers until the time expires.

These older scopes use tunnel diodes for triggers instead of a comparator. But the final effect is the same. It sounds like yours is working fine. Keep digging into the blanking circuit.

jh
Old 20th April 2002, 08:49 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default TEK 7XXX Series

The TEK 7XXX series scopes (I have a 7704a) are not expensive and plug-ins are dirt cheap. If you want, you can add a frequency counter, spectrum analyzer (7L5 for audio), etc. I purchased mine on EBay for under $100 and parted out the 7M11 which came with it bringing my cost down to zero. Manuals are also easy to come by. Here's a good link to Tek Scope prices: http://www.vaxxine.com/phil/scopes/test.htm

I concur with the recommendation of the 465's, in addition, the 2465 is a really excellent scope. I would not recommend the 2215 since CRT has a somewhat delicate foil which is easily damaged if the scope is dropped or bumped. Avoid the temptation of buying this inexpensive item.
Old 21st April 2002, 08:31 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the comments on the various Tek series. I guess there is nothing to be said against a 466 (465 with analog storage)?

There are indeed various 22xx offered cheaply. Thanks also for the warning.

There are various 24xx around, but they are VERY expensive. Was there a 23xx series? I think I saw some but the offers are gone now.

Eric
Old 23rd April 2002, 08:14 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default HP 1707B bandwidth

I am in a serious fight with the ebay-seller if those defects were there when he shipped the scope.

He also claimed the scope had 100 MHz bandwidth which I doubt. If this statement was wrong, this might be the easiest way to force him to take it back. Does anybody have a list of old HP specs?

Also found a Tek 454 A at 150 MHz bandwidth offered. Is this the predecessor to the 465, 475 series?

Thanks,

Eric

Hide this!Advertise here!