Looking for signal generator capable of more than 10 Vp-p - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2016, 02:40 PM   #1
Deafboy is offline Deafboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for signal generator capable of more than 10 Vp-p

Hi,

As the title mentions, I am looking for a signal (sine, square, etc.) capable of more than the standard 10 Vp-p in a 50 Ohm load. My current need is 15 MHz but of course wouldn't mind if it goes higher than this. Arbitrary and GPIB capability is a bonus. Can you recommend models of generators that can achieve this?

Michel
Old 5th July 2016, 02:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have a HP 3325B with the high-voltage option (002). The output goes to 40 Vpp into high-Z loads (500 Ohm, 500 pF) up to 1 MHz.

If you truly need high voltage up to 15 MHz into 50 Ohm, a dedicated amplifier might be the better/only option.

Samuel
Old 5th July 2016, 04:33 PM   #3
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Michel,
I'm going to agree with Samuel. You really need a power amplifier, which then frees you up on the choice of generator. Of course, you are looking for an RF power amplifier and you'll have to watch the match between load and amplifier.

-Chris
Old 5th July 2016, 04:44 PM   #4
Deafboy is offline Deafboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments. You have convinced me to amplify the signal. The Mini-Circuits ZHL-2-8X-S+ appears to me to be adequate for my needs. My application is to drive a laser diode (having a 50 Ohm load).
Thanks.

Michel
Old 7th July 2016, 06:04 AM   #5
1audio is online now 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

You might be better off with a specific laser diode driver. Either build a recommended circuit or get one of the instruments meant for this: https://www.avtechpulse.com/laser/ or Picosecond to nanosecond laser diode pulser - T165 It depends on what you need to do. If a square wave drive is OK you may be able to do something with a bunch of paralleled Shottky buffers. What is the forward voltage of the diode?

Hide this!Advertise here!